Making land pay for itself in SC.

Started by ben2go, September 29, 2009, 03:49:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ben2go

I've been looking for some acreage around upstate SC where I live.I been stuck on 30 to 40 acres.Seems to be the best bang for the buck in that acreage range.The issue I keep running into is low credit score,astronomical unemployement rate here,only one person working in our house hold,and the need for our place to sell before we have a down payment.I've talked to a few people that have bought large tracks of land.Some of them advised me to start an LLC and come up with a business plan showing a few different ways to use the property for income.  ???  OK.Here's what I came up with.I have family that owns and runs a large fresh produce stand.It's nearly 1/4 acre just for the produce floor.So I have the idea of making up a contract for produce that will be sold to my families produce stand plus my own small roadside produce stand.So that's two ways to produce income to pay for the property.The other ideas are 4x4 offroad park,boarding for horses,pay to fish lake,atv park and/or riding trails for horse lovers.So that's pretty much what I am considering.I do have the farm and garden experience,but I'd like to avoid employees.The family will help out a lot,especially our gurls.They love these kinds of things.I also have other things I can do for income.A few are mechanic,small engine repair,welding,trailer repair,and a few other hobbies that I could push.Anyone else use there land to pay them or pay for the land itself?Anyone have other idears,advice,or insight?

Squirl

The only thing that comes to mind is zoning.  I have seen people have problems with this in converting residential to anything commercial and vice versa.  Specifically horse stables.  Some states have "right to farm" laws to avoid nuisance lawsuits and zoning issues. I don't know the laws of SC. Also, I believe the department of agriculture has beginning farmer programs and easier loans. 

MountainDon

Quote from: Squirl on September 29, 2009, 06:51:10 PM
The only thing that comes to mind is zoning. 
... and insurance. Anytime you have people enter your land for some purpose there are liability issues, or at least potential liability issues. Even with lawyer worded signed disclaimers, insurance would be necessary.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

ben2go

The only thing that comes to mind is zoning.  I have seen people have problems with this in converting residential to anything commercial and vice versa.  Specifically horse stables.  Some states have "right to farm" laws to avoid nuisance lawsuits and zoning issues. I don't know the laws of SC. Also, I believe the department of agriculture has beginning farmer programs and easier loans. 

This will not be an issue.Most large tracts of land are off the grid where zoning doesn't affect things.

Quote from: MountainDon on September 29, 2009, 07:25:16 PM
The only thing that comes to mind is zoning. 
... and insurance. Anytime you have people enter your land for some purpose there are liability issues, or at least potential liability issues. Even with lawyer worded signed disclaimers, insurance would be necessary.

There are a lot of insurers that deal with the types of land uses I am considering,so I will be well advised as to what I should do.