Is enclosing a garage costly?

Started by am99gt, July 16, 2007, 04:37:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

am99gt

We have bought a house since the last time I was on the board, and we've completed most of the little projects I wanted done. Not including the garage its 1100sqft and I'm debating on enclosing the 2 car garage or not. I wanted to see if anyone might know an idea of what it might cost. I'm wanting to extend the living room but make an arch opening to kinda keep it separate from where the garage is now.The new room will be a den/game room We will need to build the floor up to be even with the rest of the house I think its about a 2ft difference. The garage already has windows installed, its insulated but lacks sheet rock walls, & is fully wired. Where the opening where the garage door is now I'm wanting to install large arched windows at the top to let in natural light but keep it high enough someone couldn't see in. Any idea of what that me cost me?

glenn kangiser

This is one that will be specific to you only.  Best thing to do is make a list of everything you will need and add it up.

If your garage is 2 feet lower than the house floor, you won't have enough height unless the ceiling in the garage is over 9 feet high minimum.  You might want to consider a few steps down into a lower level.

Probably minimum cost would be around half to 2/3 the price of a house in your area but your labor could affect that.
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.