pest control

Started by nyski, August 28, 2007, 11:28:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nyski

I have been reading and watching your forum for years and haven't had the time and $$ yet to build my little get away.

I did have a ?? for anyone out there about pest control. I have seen a lot of your builders building with post and beam foundations but I never see anyone address critters coming from exposed floor joists. Mice seem like they get into everything.  :( I plan on building on this type of foundation but have been trying to figure out a practical solution that would be effective.

MountainDon

A very timely question. I've been looking into this and have loads of info on mice in particular.

The big missing part of the question is how much ventilation is required for the under the floor insulation. I'm assuming you're going to use fiberglass like most of us. Icynene, the sprayed in place foam, would be a wonderful insulation, but pricey. Mice do love to make their homes in fiberglass. Not absolutely sure about the foams.

There seems to be general agreement that galvanized hardware cloth with a 1/4 inch opening, or less, will keep the mice at bay.

More  info later when I get my info organized.

MountainDon

Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.