What to build???

Started by dreamer, November 01, 2010, 03:32:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dreamer

Hello everyone!!  I was just gifted 14 acs in west central indiana.   My husband and I would like to build an underground house........  The property is all woods and is basicly a large hill.    We have NO idea where to start.    I have looked on the internet for building codes for the area to no avail.....  Please any advice is welcome.   I have looked at several home plans including tradional homes.  We are looking to build ourselves, if at all possible  we have access to buldozers and backhoes and several friends and family to help.  We currently reside in sw Nebraska.   Any ideas?   Looking forward to hearing from you all!    :)

MountainDon

w* [cool]  Even though you'd expect everything to be available online these days maybe your local officials have not progressed that far. Unless you are in a city/town area that does it's own permitting check with the county. The county will have a development department or something worded along similar lines. Check with them. They will be able to tell you what is required, if they have any issues with underground cabins, and so on. I would go into the office in person, that way you should be able to get the information without ID'ing yourself if you don't want to. That's what I did, gave them a general sense of where my property was and they gave me the info. I was also lucky in that I found info online under the state (NM) construction industries department.

G/L and I'd love to see how your plans develop/progress.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

dreamer

Thank you MountainDon!!  We will be returning soon to pick up a woodstove, so I will go in person and see what I can find out!!