Canada ends gun registry

Started by peternap, February 16, 2012, 09:07:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

peternap

http://news.nationalpost.com/2012/02/15/conservatives-and-enthusiasts-cheer-the-end-of-the-long-gun-registry/
OTTAWA — The Conservative government says its MPs will celebrate after a historic vote to end the long-gun registry Wednesday evening, despite vehement opposition to the move in Quebec and much of urban Canada.

Public Safety Minister Vic Toews told reporters Wednesday, hours before the vote, that the government's actions are long overdue.

"It does nothing to help put an end to gun crimes, nor has it saved one Canadian life," he said.
Related

These here is God's finest scupturings! And there ain't no laws for the brave ones! And there ain't no asylums for the crazy ones! And there ain't no churches, except for this right here!

MountainDon

:o :o  Miracles do happen. Wow!!   [cool] [cool]
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

MountainDon

They retain all the other license requirements it appears. And as usual Quebec doesn't agree and wants their own registry.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

peternap

I guess it's a step in the right direction.
These here is God's finest scupturings! And there ain't no laws for the brave ones! And there ain't no asylums for the crazy ones! And there ain't no churches, except for this right here!

Aidzee

Quebec doesn't agree on principle. Would be a tragedy if frenchmen started acting like englishmen. Way to go Mr. Harper. This was long overdue.

peternap

Quote from: Aidzee on February 17, 2012, 10:22:17 AM
Quebec doesn't agree on principle. Would be a tragedy if frenchmen started acting like englishmen. Way to go Mr. Harper. This was long overdue.

Still a long way to go. I hope the Canadians (eaaaa) run with it

Windpower

Is it still virtually impossible to get a handgun in CA ?
Often, our ignorance is not as great as our reluctance to act on what we know.

MountainDon

They are on the restricted list. And none with a barrel shorter than 4.14" (100MM) . Leaves a lot out of the selection.

Tickhill

I developed a friendship with several Canadians when they came down and integrated a robotic stack and palletize system at our plant. Early on it was always how restrictive our country was concerning vices but just about anyone could buy a gun, one guy just couldn't get over it. I set the tone early in our relationship, I said, "One thing you must remember, you were granted your freedom, we fought for ours". That ended that and I have taken several to the farm to allow them to shoot all they want before heading back to Canada. I hope that this is the start of something they really enjoy when in the states.
Most I have talked with believe Quebec should be it's country, practically is.
"You will find the key to success under the alarm Glock"  Ben Franklin
Forget it Ben, just remember, the check comes at the first of the month and it's not your fault, your a victim.

Pray while there is still time