Almost there

Started by maggiethecat, June 27, 2008, 11:20:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

maggiethecat

Sigh...only a couple more days and we'll be in Hawaii. My husband's acquaintance George Buehler the boat builder sent him a message talking about whether Hawaii would a good place for building a boat. Buehler wrote:

QuoteNope, Hawaii is one of the WORST places to build anything.  Not only are ALL materials shipped in at an extra expense, but the climate is to hot and muggy to do hard work.
   If you want to move somewhere to build I'd suggest Aberdeen, Washington.  Inexpensive rents and easy access to materials.  Or Perhaps Astoria, Oregon.  Same, and no sales tax...

Wish us luck...looks like we're in for a rough ride.  :-[

--maggie
Decorate your cabin/house/castle/compound/hellhole with original modern ART!

muldoon

maggie -  I wish you the best of luck and hope you make your dreams come true.  True that everthing is expensive in Hawaii, its the second highest cost of living state in the US.  Everything has to be shipped there on huge ships, and the cost of fuel to get those ships their is hurting them badly.  It's pretty tho, and thats what your looking for so go for it and good luck again. 

Sassy

Yeh, I'd just go with the expectations of checking things out, enjoying the beautiful scenery, have fun, get inspiration for your paintings - all the exotic plants & probably beautiful sunsets, snorkeling, scuba diving, seeing the beautiful bright colored fish, the clear blue ocean...  the volcano, hiking, I could go on & on - after all, people go there for vacations, honeymoons & all - it is one of THE destination spots for travel... 

BTW, John's son lived in Hawaii for years - not sure if he still does - they built their own places - like an ecological preserve - don't remember what island he was on. 

Mind you, I've never been there - always wanted to go...  but from pix I've seen & from what people have told me about the place - it truly is paradise if you can just deal with all the man-made requirements... 

Go & enjoy - an adventure!  You guys are young - just being able to walk along the beaches, swim - I'd love that!   :) 8)
http://glennkathystroglodytecabin.blogspot.com/

You will know the truth & the truth will set you free

peternap

Like Sassy said, Go and enjoy your adventure. Your only young once!
A couple of weeks ago, my wife and I had gone somewhere on the Whizzers. She looked at me and said, we've always had a lot of fun.

It's true. She married an immature, reckless kid, fresh out of college and working as a Ski Instructor. Since that time, we've built several sail boats, climbed every mountain we could find, entered Bike races, gone to mountain man rendezvous, watched our kids grow and understand what freedom means.

Your doing the same thing! If it works out and you stay the rest of your life or if you decide to go to Washington or anywhere in the world, your doing what YOU want and your child(ren) will see and do things that other kids can only dream about.

Have fun!
These here is God's finest scupturings! And there ain't no laws for the brave ones! And there ain't no asylums for the crazy ones! And there ain't no churches, except for this right here!