Staining Cedar Siding

Started by rwanders, July 27, 2008, 06:05:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rwanders

I will be staining about 1500 sq ft of siding-----Trying to find an efficient way to get this done before nailing it in place. Would it be reasonable to put together a trough lined with plastic, fill it with stain and dip the siding? Was thinking it would not only be quicker but would also stain all sides at once. Would be using a semi-transparent oil-based stain.
Rwanders lived in Southcentral Alaska since 1967
Now lives in St Augustine, Florida

NM_Shooter

It would use a ton of stain that way.  You might get blotchy appearance too.  Try a sample first.

My means of getting my ceiling pine stained (~1200ft) was to hire a high school kid and give him a roller.

-f-
"Officium Vacuus Auctorita"

PEG688

That will work , with a semi transparent. IF you can setup a "recovery" drain you could even use the stuff that drips off.

That would be a "extra" bonus , but the dip trough idea is excellent, finding or having a sloped spot to stack and catch the stain as it drips off would be , like I said a extra bonus.

It's best done with the siding left to drain vertical , and don't re-stack it till its some what dry as the wet spots , if stacked right away or to soon , will transfer wet stain and might cause dark spots where it's left to soak in longer. And of cousre it could stick together if stacked while wet. Which could cause so tearing out when it's un-stuck later.

G/L PEG   
When in doubt , build it stout with something you know about .