Recent posts

Owner-Builder Projects / Re: Okanogan 14x24 by a lurker...
Last post by OlJarhead - January 23, 2024, 09:01:06 AM
Free Heat?  Sure!  But I have this issue...
General Forum / Re: Tall retaining foundation ...
Last post by desirerole - January 21, 2024, 09:40:44 PM
The 19' high concrete wall is supported on its sides by the suspended wood floor joist system, as shown in your diagram, which balances the excessive force exerted by the tall wall on the wood floor. Although that appears sensible, I'm not really sure if it'resets' the uneven fill rule.
General Forum / Re: Gravel Trench for Shed
Last post by oiledgrind - January 21, 2024, 09:27:50 PM
Thanks for your idea, this is exactly what I was looking for. Very helpful. :D
General Forum / Re: 4x6 floor joists??
Last post by peacesun - January 21, 2024, 09:22:07 PM
Costs can vary a lot based on location, materials, and your specific plans. My advice would be to get a few local quotes from contractors—they can give you a better ballpark based on your area.
Referral Links / Re: Wall Plugin for SketchUp
Last post by Medeek - January 19, 2024, 02:38:04 AM
Version 3.4.3 - 01.18.2024
- Improved the serial number verification logic within the License tab of the Global Settings.
- Added a Door Reset button in the Doors tab of the Global Settings.
- Added a Window Reset button in the Windows tab of the Global Settings.
Owner-Builder Projects / Re: 20x36 1.5 story with sunro...
Last post by OlJarhead - January 17, 2024, 09:18:15 AM
Haven't looked at those plans so can't add much there but wanted to welcome you to the forum!

While it's been quiet of late, we're still here! ;)

My only question is this:  Do the plans include 12 foot walls?  If not, I'd be sure to get that right.  I went with 10 foot walls on my build and an inset ledger which isn't strictly up to code or engineering  ::) ??? ;D but after 15 years it's held up just fine and it was someone here that pointed out he knew of cabins built that way that were 100 years old :D

In any case, I do think doing 12 footers you should probably look at what impact that will have if 4 feet of those walls will be in the loft thereby eliminating the rafter ties (like I did) and only using cross ties (top 1/3rd).
Last post by OlJarhead - January 16, 2024, 03:33:00 PM
Meanwhile at the cabin :)
Referral Links / Re: Medeek Electrical Plugin
Last post by Medeek - January 12, 2024, 04:56:52 PM
Version 1.4.0 - 01.12.2024
- Added a "PIPE" shape to the wire module for electrical conduit.
- Added an additional parameter for custom wires (conduits/pipes) within the library: Wall Thickness.
- Added standard PVC (Schedule 40) electrical conduit sizes into the custom wire library.

Note, that previous custom wire libraries will not be compatible with this latest update.  If you have an extensive library already established please contact me directly with step-by-step instructions on how to bring an older wire library into this latest version of the plugin.

The dimensions for the OD, wall thickness and bend radius were taken directly from CANTEX and JM Eagle literature, and should match exactly the standard specs for SCH40 PVC in the American and Canadian markets.
Referral Links / Re: Truss Calculators
Last post by Medeek - January 11, 2024, 05:10:10 PM
Version 3.4.0 - 01.11.2024
- Added a "Primitive" option to the roof framing parameter within the Draw and Edit menus for the following rafter roofs: Gable, Shed, Shed (with ledger), Hip.
- Added lower pitches to the draw menus for the following rafter roofs: Gable, Shed, Shed (with ledger), Hip.

Last post by OlJarhead - January 11, 2024, 09:28:44 AM
The saga continues with -15F predicted tomorrow night now!!!  Yes folks, the race is on!  Tim Flaten and I will at least try to move the batteries from the porch into the back room where I have a heater that keeps the room from freezing.  If we can do that we will then move the 24v to 12v converter so the fans in the back room will run as they are needed to keep the heat circulating inside the room (otherwise it just rises to the roof and the floor freezes.

I figure we can place the batteries on some insulation blanket (the silver stuff) to further insulate them from the floor and hook up the converter.  Then we just have to run some 10awg wire from the Morningstar charge controller to the back room, move the DC Connect panel and hook it all up so they will get a charge from the ground panels which is really all they should need when we are not there.  Of course, then we could run from the Outback Charge controller and the roof panels as well just because that would be better.

If that's all we manage it will be enough to save the batteries.  If we don't want to try to do the rest I can do it in warmer temps.  Or, if we have the energy we can move the inverter etc to the back room and start changing out the wiring to make it all work.

Meanwhile here's the latest cabin video!