Recent Posts

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 10
Referral Links / Re: Wall Plugin for SketchUp
« Last post by Medeek on January 20, 2022, 11:08:01 PM »
Version 2.6.8c - 01.20.2022
- Fixed a minor bug with custom labels for doors, windows and garage doors.
Owner-Builder Projects / Re: Okanogan 14x24 by a lurker :)
« Last post by OlJarhead on January 20, 2022, 01:47:31 PM »
Going to test fit a set of chains for the jeep tonight and if all goes well I'll have them on hand for my up coming cabin trip.  I have 315x75R17's which measure 34" (they are almost the same size as 35x12.5's on my wifes jeep but hers are on 18" wheels and measure maybe 1/4" taller) and the club member with the chains he's willing to loan said they were made for his 34's -- here's hoping!

I really didn't want to buy chains now (I have 2 pairs for 16" wheels and 265's and a set for 32" tires as well as for my truck which has thinner 17's) due to the ridiculous cost and the fact that I just wouldn't use them much but hate to head to the cabin and it's icy roads without them!  The driveway leading up onto our property is VERY steep at about 21% at it's worst and it ices up a LOT so it's always a concern.  Here's a video of driving down from it in the jeep last year with the stock wheels and tires:
  It's the first minute of an otherwise boring video LOL

I'll try to do a better one this winter if I get a chance now that I have better camera setups!

Anyway, I have some wainscoting to install as well as some paneling so I'm hoping to get up and check on the place and then do some work! 
General Forum / Re: diesel appliances?
« Last post by akwoodchuck on January 18, 2022, 12:13:19 PM »
Toyo is a great brand of room heaters and on-demand water heaters that run on #1 fuel oil...extremely popular up here in Alaska, they are ultra reliable....
« Last post by Medeek on January 18, 2022, 07:52:05 AM »
Version 2.6.8b - 01.18.2022
- Fixed a bug with exterior wainscoting when doors and garage doors are vertically offset negative or positive values.

!!!! Critical Bug Fix !!!!
This addresses the issues with door and garage doors that have been vertically offset within the wall.  This bug fix addresses all wall types: rectangular, shed, gable and hip.
Owner-Builder Projects / Re: New House Truckee, CA Historic District
« Last post by sweetrollsegg on January 16, 2022, 09:32:49 AM »
I AM PREPARING TO BUILD A NEW HOUSE. WE BOUGHT A LAND AND SOON WE WILL START BUILDING. THIS THREAD INSPIRED ME EVEN MORE: D
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/House
General Forum / Re: Can I change the Little House plans to 16x24?
« Last post by Don_P on January 16, 2022, 05:16:48 AM »
Prescriptively, that is, without an engineer or architect's seal, these are the minimums. If you wish to step outside of these provisions, be prepared to engage one of those registered design professionals.

For what you have pictured above the answer is ;
R404.1.9.3 Masonry piers supporting braced wall panels.
Masonry piers supporting braced wall panels shall be designed in accordance with accepted engineering practice.

In other words, engineer required.

So going back to the easy way,

This is section R 403.1
R403.1 General.
All exterior walls shall be supported on continuous solid or fully grouted masonry or concrete footings, crushed stone footings, wood foundations, or other approved structural systems that shall be of sufficient design to accommodate all loads according to Section R301 and to transmit the resulting loads to the soil within the limitations as determined from the character of the soil. Footings shall be supported on undisturbed natural soils or engineered fill. Concrete footing shall be designed and constructed in accordance with the provisions of Section R403 or in accordance with ACI 332.

Using the tables below that section, it looks like a 6x14 concrete strip footing would be about the minimum.

The foundation walls, refer to section 404;
R404.1.2 Design of masonry foundation walls.
Masonry foundation walls shall be designed and constructed in accordance with the provisions of this section or in accordance with the provisions of TMS 402. Where TMS 402 or the provisions of this section are used to design masonry foundation walls, project drawings, typical details and specifications are not required to bear the seal of the architect or engineer responsible for design, unless otherwise required by the state law of the jurisdiction having authority.

The easy way is 8" block, check the reinforcement schedule there.

For cantilever spans see table R 502.3.3(1)

For girder spans check table R602.7(1) and (2)
In the second table they address the doubled 2x8 girders across the floor supporting the 2x6 floor joists. There's room to interpolate and play but you are either a ply or a size too light.

« Last post by Medeek on January 15, 2022, 06:14:44 PM »
Version 2.6.8 - 01.15.2022
- Fixed bug with exterior trim when doors and garage doors are vertically offset.

« Last post by maggiethecat on January 15, 2022, 02:45:31 PM »
Hi Don, I couldn't find anything about it in that link, but I found this old thread: https://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=14482.0

It had the following image, which I think is probably a good idea for the spacing:

I would need to build up the beams from three 2x6's. The difference is that in the little house 14x24 plans, the floor overlaps the posts by 2'2", probably so you can add skirting. These plans have the posts at the very corners.

I'm not sure where to go with these, I thank you for suggestions!
« Last post by Don_P on January 15, 2022, 02:43:57 AM »
This is the foundation chapter of the code. Section 403.1 should answer that part of the design;
https://codes.iccsafe.org/content/VRC2018P1/chapter-4-foundations
« Last post by maggiethecat on January 13, 2022, 09:00:17 PM »
Thank you Don, I wonder if the number of piers and their positions would stay the same?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 10