Deck roof and posts

Started by beckhamk, February 20, 2012, 06:04:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

beckhamk

I have all of my plans figured out for the deck we plan to build on the front of the cabin.  I wanted to know what are the rules of thumb for the how high to fasten the ledger that will be attached to the cabin.  Then how high for beam that the rafters are tied to.  I am planning to have about 7-8ft ceiling height for the deck.

Also I wanted to see about how best to attach the posts to the deck that will support the beam for the porch roof (same ones that the railings will go between).  I was planning to notch the 6x6 post and place it on the edge of the deck at the desired locations with 2 bolts.

UK4X4

roof wise it depends on the angle your after and if there are windows on the second floor !

On mine to get an 8ft beam to deck floor and the largest angle for snow, I had to drop the deck 14" below my interior floor height and still only got a 5/12 angle due to the upstairs windows and wanting to keep the roof 6" below the upper window's

So I need steps on the deck infront of the doors

Post wise you'll need to check your spacing and front beam requirements for me I'd only want to notch for 1 2x#in a 6" post

On my present house design I need a triple 2x12 to support my deck and porch roof snow load of 76psf

So I have to do seperate posts below and above the beam- above the beam I've had dificulty locating a post base I like- but I'm going to be using logs...for the 6x6 post I quite liked the Titan one or the ones from perma column

The standard little tin ones from simpson to me don't look strong enough or nice on the eyes, I'd rather an industrial look and have materials I'm happy with like 1/4" steel rather than sheet metal.
below the beam I'm using log home screw jacks as I have foundation concerns..

The other thing that effected my choices were the combined loads- meaning I need 36" diameter footings 5 off in 36ft
Above I only have 4 posts to clear the windows and door views

beckhamk

I dont have windows to worry about.  I will have to look around at the bases.

MountainDon

Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.