Designing for a Solar System

Started by Dimitri, December 30, 2006, 03:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

desdawg

Waywar, looks like Wayne has made a business of it. I knew there was a lot to it and siting the house to take full advantage would be step one. Like I mentioned many times there are other considerations with the property that make siting the home for passive solar less than desireable. Then you go into the tradeoff mode and try to get what you can without giving up what you really want. In AZ summer weather full southern exposure is not the best idea as cooling costs can eclipse winter heating costs. Plus if you are off grid evap cooling is the most you can hope for. Different locals will dictate different priorities. Then there is that nice view you would like to have out the picture window, but the view is in the wrong direction. Or it is a small lot and your options are limited. And the list goes on.

Dimitri

Amanda,

Been looking at that chart of yours and its seems I could in theory get 2.4 kWh a day per squre meter. Doesn't seem too bad. :)

Water sound nice execpt when the water freezes over in winter here. :(

Dimitri

Amanda_931

I'd make sure that that was the amount that a (relatively inefficient--they all are, to date, even the triple junction jobs) solar panel was likely to give you.  

Dimitri

Amanda,

Once I finilize my plans I'll make sure I'd double or even triple the amount of solar cells I need to get the power I'd require. Don't want to build then realize I should have gone bigger. :)

Dimitri