Main Menu

Recent posts

Referral Links / Re: Medeek Floor Plugin
Last post by Medeek - October 02, 2024, 12:41:32 AM
Version 0.9.9b - 10.01.2024
- Updated the Floor tab of the Global Settings with additional parameters for joist construction.
- Fixed a minor bug with the hanger module for double ply staggered studs.
- Fixed a bug in the Draw and Edit menus so that all hangers in the library are properly displayed.
- Added the following skewed (45 degree) Simpson hangers into the built-in library (skew_hangers): SUL410, SUL414, SUL214_2, SUL210_2, SUL26_2, SUR410, SUR414, SUR214_2, SUR210_2, SUR26_2

Owner-Builder Projects / Re: D-Log Shed Build on Skids
Last post by OlJarhead - September 30, 2024, 01:59:07 PM
Hey bud!  I do see your comments and replied to them and thought "I know Adam from CP Forum!" but probably got distracted along the lines of answering (crazy busy as my channel grows).

For the floor I'm still a little torn.  R10 rigid foam is easy for rodents to chew so still needs protection (hardware cloth or something else).  However, they can't pull it through the cloth -- on the other hand bats are cheaper and when renovating the outhouse porch I noticed they did NOT get to any I stuffed in that floor because of the hardware cloth.

So at this point I'm thinking of hiring someone to finish the job ;)  Easier on my busted up body too! lol

Sorry to hear about the flood!!  Yikes!  and the shoulder!  I have a permanently dislocated SC joint (inner collar bone) and some blown discs so I get it!  Roof work is something I may pay someone else to do unless the pitch is lower than mine ;)

My new cabin I intend to go with a 6x12 pitch or something like that to make life easier lol.

As for YT - yes!  I am constantly learning and trying to get better at it.  I became monetized a couple years ago but it's been full time work this year (since August 23) trying to build it up after a bit of a setback in late '22).

Biggest thing I've learned "your viewers will tell you what they want to watch".  You just have to learn to interpret it LOL

Cheers! and thanks!
Owner-Builder Projects / Re: 12x12 Tiny Cabin Build - 2...
Last post by MountainDon - September 30, 2024, 01:47:10 PM
First Alert CO615 Dual-Power Plug-In Carbon Monoxide Detector with Battery Backup and Digital Display

We:ve used this model for years, replace every 10, at home, cabin, workshop.   Press a button to see present reading.
Owner-Builder Projects / Re: 12x12 Tiny Cabin Build - 2...
Last post by Adam Roby - September 30, 2024, 11:58:41 AM
I started roofing this past weekend, got about half done.  I will post some images later on.
One quick question, I have a VERY old CO detector that appears to still work.
I ran my Mr. Buddy heater a bit on Saturday night (maybe an hour at a time, off and on) because it was about 50F with no insulation yet so a tab bit nippy to say the least.  In the morning, I checked my detector, and it recorded a peak value of 21 PPM.  Extrapolating from what I can find on Google, at that level I would be safe for about 4+ hours.  

Does anyone recommend a good detector that I can use that continuously monitors carbon monoxide so I can quickly look anytime I wake up to make sure I do wake up in the morning?  I am pretty surprised it got to 21 PPM with only running an hour here and there, with my soffits wide open and nothing blocking the airflow (yet).  I slept there on Saturday night so I could start working bright and early on Sunday morning.  I think I need a new sleeping bag, or maybe a 12V blanket to keep me warm at night.  

I will eventually install a permanent heater of some kind...  but there's still a ton of work to complete first.

Last post by Medeek - September 27, 2024, 03:29:25 AM
Version 0.9.8 - 09.27.2024
- Made the polyline/face icon (draw mode) in the draw menu clickable.
- Added a joist direction toggle button/icon to the draw and edit menus.
- Added a stagger joist option to the Draw and Edit menus.
- Updated the insulation, blocking, metal bridging and hanger modules to accommodate staggered joists.
Owner-Builder Projects / Re: D-Log Shed Build on Skids
Last post by Adam Roby - September 24, 2024, 11:49:31 AM
Quote from: OlJarhead on September 15, 2024, 06:01:44 PM...I'm still debating the issue of rats and mice and insulation and maybe will use 2" Foam between the OSB and the 1" flooring or something like that...

Hey Eric, watched your latest video with the insulation being torn off from the rodents.
Been contemplating the same thing, either doing the two propane-tank type spray foam from underneath, or simply laying down some 2" foam board and plywood overtop... although I really don't want to move my door, and the added height would impede the door from opening.  I am not eager to crawl underneath to deal with spray foam and rodent mesh either... sigh.

I've posted a couple times on your channel, but I always show as anonymous - can't figure out those settings.  Must be quite the learning curve to get into being a YouTuber, but your videos are quite entertaining.

I haven't posted in a while.  I've been hit with one thing after another.  I bought the metal roofing for the new cabin, but was put on hold due to massive flooding at home (we lost our entire basement) - and still trying to deal with the insurance and loss of personal effects, tools, all my cabin goodies that I had saved up, custom built counters...  and now a rotary cuff injury in my shoulder, might make it a challenge to get onto the roof and lay down the metal.  Anyway, hoping to get back at it soon... watching your videos in the meantime to keep me inspired and hopefully not make the same mistakes you point out. 

Referral Links / Re: Wall Plugin for SketchUp
Last post by Medeek - September 24, 2024, 04:20:50 AM
Last post by Medeek - September 24, 2024, 03:03:27 AM
Tutorial 3 - Metal Bridging and Blocking (10:28 min.)

Last post by Medeek - September 23, 2024, 03:01:08 PM
Version 0.9.7 - 09.23.2024
- Updated the SUBTRACT feature with three other options.
- Added seven advanced options in the Floor tab of the Global Settings.
- Added metal bridging to the Draw and Edit menus.
- Added solid blocking (Lumber and I-Joist) to the Draw and Edit menus.
- Fixed minor bugs in the HTML menus and preset system.
General Forum / Re: Question for small home bu...
Last post by billy boy - September 23, 2024, 11:21:56 AM
I recommend checking the resale value for a smaller home and make sure you'll at least recover your costs if you ever intend to sell. I had to wait for the market value to rise and quickly sold to https://www.thepropertybuyingcompany.co.uk/, which helped me recover mine.