Yuk floor....

Started by jb52761, July 21, 2008, 07:40:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jb52761

morning all....helping a friend remodel an old trailer....does anyone have a suggestion for getting rid of a urine odor on wood subfloor ? She doesn't have the funds, or time, to rip part of it out....I figured I'd ask you guys if you have a secret recipe, maybe.......jb

PEG688

Kilz , primer / seal / used to block smells from fires , get the oil based kind the water based type does not work as well. So essential prime the sub floor.

Kilz Original, 5 Gallon, Oil Based, Primer/Sealer & Stain Killer, Fast Drying Sealer, Primer, Stain Blocker, Blocks Most Pet & Smoke Odors, Creates An Excellent Base Coat For ...

Links:

http://www.nextag.com/kilz-primer-sealer/search-html

http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navclient&ie=UTF-8&rls=HPID,HPID:2006-35,HPID:en&q=Kilz+primer+sealer+

G/L PEG
When in doubt , build it stout with something you know about .

TheWire

As a second line of defense before sealing the floor you may want to try and minimize the odor with an enzymatic cleaner (Urine Gone, Nature's Miracle, etc.). Walmart has a couple of versions; just make sure it says somewhere on the bottle that it has enzymes. The enzymes break down/consume the urine.  Hopefully between neutralizing and sealing the smell can be minimized.  You might also try a 3rd layer of defense and put plastic over the subfloor prior to flooring install.

NM_Shooter

Soak the floor with Oxyclean.  It will kill off the smell.

-f-
"Officium Vacuus Auctorita"

r8ingbull

Use B I N by Zinsser.  It is a shellac based primer.  2 coats will seal that smell 100%, you'll never catch a whiff of it.  Do not use any latex or water base primer.  Kilz is designed as a replacement for shellac based products, it works OK, but not great.

Priming the floor will only work with carpet or no-glue wood (or laminate).  The primer does not make a suitable substrate for tile/linoleum.  The manufactures say not for floors, but it's about the only good option.