In wall propane line question

Started by waltsuz, November 16, 2016, 03:39:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

waltsuz

I am wanting to run a 1/2 inch CSST propane line inside an exterior wall that will pass below and behind a wood burner stove. The wall will be fiberglass insulated and the stove will have proper steel heat shields on the wall. The wall itself is paneled with 3/8ths plywood. The stove sets on 3 inch thick stone. I know this sounds crazy but the layout for my flue for the wood stove is in an area that this is the easiest way to go. Will I be ok/safe with this situation. Thanks for any opinions, Walt

flyingvan

I don't see why not.   Since CSST often supplies fireplaces, it probably happens all the time.  Fireblocking in the stud bay would be cheap insurance,  (just a 2x4).  My propane wall furnace and fireplace are right next to each other... The real thing to be concerned about is that the CSST is properly grounded and bonded
Find what you love and let it kill you.

waltsuz

Quote from: flyingvan on November 16, 2016, 07:07:01 PM
I don't see why not.   Since CSST often supplies fireplaces, it probably happens all the time.  Fireblocking in the stud bay would be cheap insurance,  (just a 2x4).  My propane wall furnace and fireplace are right next to each other... The real thing to be concerned about is that the CSST is properly grounded and bonded

Thank you

Dave Sparks

I would do this also but add that you should make sure the new line is protected from someone putting a nail or screw in later. Just like a water, electrical, or gas line would be with a metal strip. May not apply in your case but protect the line from being puntered at the studs.

My neighbor had me help him drill into his wall because he just kept breaking drill bits :)
"we go where the power lines don't"