Mule Days

Started by sparks, March 03, 2011, 08:26:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sparks

I had occasion to be in Columbia,TN in early April 2007 to install a new RR crossing. Upon finding a motel, the clerk informed me I could not stay over the weekend.....they were booked up. My inquery as to why produced "Mule Days".  Uhh...Mule Days??  She looked at me as if I had lived on the moon most of my life and then went on to explain the annual festival of mules. So I stayed there until Thursday then found another motel about 60 miles away!! Saturday was the big parade and the route for it was right on the road we were working on...it led directly to the county fair grounds.

Sooo, we shut down work and watched the parade.....all two and a half hours of it. I had know idea there were that many mules in the US!!! And some were from overseas!! Big mules, little mules, hairy mules, dressed up mules. Mules pulling buggies. Mules pulling wagons. Mules pulling custom made mule vehicles. Two and a half hours of it.

A very entertaining and eductional day to say the least. Pretty mules, pretty displays, pretty gals......
and two and a half hours of mule poop......they cleaned it up with a street sweeper, but you could still smell it on Monday. Actually, I wouldn't mind going back again.....if I could get a motel room   ;D

http://muleday.org/

sparks 
My vessel is so small....the seas so vast......