Foundation and floor deck Q's

Started by markert2523, May 04, 2009, 09:30:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

markert2523

A couple of quick ones about my planned 12x16 Manshed with two parallel beams supporting the floor deck.

1)Wondering if these brackets seem sufficient to support a double 2x10 beam (with plywood sandwiched).  Would be embedded into concrete in 8" sonotubes.

2)  Is it OK to nail the 2x8 floor joists onto the rim joists or would I need to use hangers.

Thanks. 

MountainDon

Those look like they would work, but it's difficult to tell from a picture without knowing the spacs. They are meant to be fully seated on the pored concrete.

Regarding the joists to rim, we need some clarification as to what you mean.

If you mean to hang the joists off the rim by nailing into end grain; NO. That is, the rim supporting the joists, no.  Joist hangers are necessary when hanging the joist off a beam or other.

If you mean that the joists are sitting on top of beams, then yes the rim can be nailed to the ends of the joists.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

markert2523

I don't have specs but here is a drawing.

As for the joist---yes they would sit on top of the beams.

Thanks

rdpecken

Those look like the same brackets that I used with my double 2x10 with 1/2" plywood sandwich girders.  We put the girders down 2 years ago, and have been building the 14x24 LittleHouse on them since that time.  There have been no problems, but they are designed such that the girder sits flush on the bottom plate, which sits flush on the piers.  We did use some scrap wood/wedges to fill up the gap on a couple of piers that wern't as high as the others, and that has not presented a problem yet, either.

Here is where we started...

and here is where we are today...

Good luck... Randy

markert2523

Thanks Randy,

Good to know that they work.  Hopefully I can get them fairly level to start.