Good Folks to Deal With; I Think

Started by MountainDon, September 06, 2012, 12:30:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MountainDon

As some know I have recently bought an '06 Toyota Tacoma 4x4. As with many late vintage vehicles fitting tire chains can be a problem. With the Tacoma the rear is easy but it has the same front tire problems as many due. There is a clearance problem between the tire and suspension components. Toyota says No to front chains. After looking, I agree, at least the way it is supplied from the factory.

Two solutions I see: new wheels with different backspacing or wheel spacers.

I don't really want new wheels. They are exoensive. I'm happy with what's there as long as they don't fall off.

I don't really like most of the wheel spacers that are available. There are scads of them listed on the internet and most are lug-centric, not hub-centric. Most vehicles have hub-centric wheels. That is, the wheel center hole fits tightly onto a machined hub to ensure the wheel runs true. The hub supports the weight, not the wheel lugs. My old utility trailer uses a lug-centric mount, but the Tacoma uses a hub-centric wheel.  Searching the internet I did find a manufacturer of a variety of spacers that fit the Tacoma and are hub-centric. At $47.50 per wheel they are not cheap.

I had some questions so I emailed the company. I had an answer within an hour and each subsequent exchange/return was equally prompt.  What this boils down to is they made me an offer I can not refuse. Understandably I am reluctant to order a set of spacers if I can not be certain they will allow me to mount and safely use the chains I already have. They made me an offer where all I can lose is the cost of the incoming freight. No return restocking fee. No return shipping cost to me. As long as I'm careful with my trial mounting they will work with me. I am soooo impressed. The spacers are all made in America; Reno, Nevada using American made CNC machines, not a Chinese import. And they have made a proposal that removes most of the risk of making the purchase. Can't get much better than that.

So I am going to order the spacers as soon as I decide if I should try the 0.75" thick or the 1.0" thick ones.  d*

Anyhow this is a refreshing response from a vendor when compared to some of life's other events. At least we're off to a great start.

Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.