Which plan best meets these needs?

Started by knuckledragger, September 23, 2007, 02:38:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

knuckledragger

I have about 20 acres in the Ozarks and we are wanting to put a small "wilderness retreat" cabin on it for my family of 5.  Nothing fancy or too roomy, just a "step up from tent camping" with a small bathroom and kitchenette, maybe a sleeping loft for the kids and a common area for my wife and I to sleep downstairs.  After I retire in about 15 years, I want to build a log home and live in the small cabin while I am building and then use it as a guest house.

I was thinking about something like the 14'x24' little house but maybe a little bigger (16'x28')  Is there anything like that in the plans?  It seems like after you go up from the 14'x24' little house that the next step up is the Victoria's Cottage and I really want something simpler than that (something with only 4 corners)

Any suggestions?

MountainDon

Changing the 14x24 little house to a longer configuration is easy. You put in a few more posts/piers, make the beams longer and erect longer side walls.

Making it wider gets a little more complicated. The floor joists are longer to cover the extra distance. That means you likely need to calculate for larger joists. Or run a central beam under them. Ditto the rafters and loft/ceiling joists. The side walls carry all the loading from the roof and loft. It's not impossible but it needs to be thought out carefully.

I understand your desire to begin with a more simple box shape.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.