28x28 cape/cabin

Started by bigweights, December 07, 2010, 01:18:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigweights

hi everyone.     im looking at building a 28x28 1 1/2 story cape/cabin with a full loft above.  has anyone built a 28x28 and if so can anyone give me an estimate on how much it would cost to build myself.  i was going to build the house using sips but i was qouted $55,000 for the sip shell installed by foard panel out of nh, that seemed a little steap for my current budget.  i want to stick build the house myself and sub out the basement, septic, well, and electricity.  thanks

dug

39,200  -plus septic, well, excavation, permits, etc.,etc.

;)  I'm joking, kind of. The above figure comes from calculating @ $50 per square foot which seems a pretty reasonable figure based on projects I've seen here and elsewhere. Obviously there are so many variables involved that I think folks here might need a fair amount more detail to give even a rough ballpark.

$70 per sq. ft. for the SIP shell you mentioned seems outlandish to me, but I suppose it depends on what tax bracket you find yourself in. Not sure what all it includes besides insulation but generally the shell is the cheap part of the build. I think I can say with reasonable confidence that stick built would be way, way less expensive.

bigweights

yeah, thats what i was thinking.  does anyone know if they make 12/12 trusses with a loft space?

MountainDon

Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.