Recent posts

Owner-Builder Projects / Re: Okanogan 14x24 by a lurker...
Last post by OlJarhead - February 08, 2024, 08:15:23 AM
Owner-Builder Projects / Re: Okanogan 14x24 by a lurker...
Last post by OlJarhead - February 07, 2024, 06:54:34 PM
Finally after all these years I am working on a console for my solar power and car stereo.  I'm not a cabinet maker by any stretch but I think this will turn out fine for my uses :D

Once the glue dries I'll give it a light sanding and stain it and with luck, maybe even get some varathane on it before we head to the cabin with it Friday.  Otherwise I'll have to leave it as is (stained anyway).   

The open space below is for fire starting stuff (papers, dryer lint, tools etc).  The top will just be a place to set things.
Owner-Builder Projects / Re: Sure enjoyed our home buil...
Last post by OlJarhead - February 07, 2024, 04:02:58 PM
Great!  Hope it works out well for you!
Last post by zion-diy - February 07, 2024, 12:33:11 PM
Quote from: OlJarhead on February 07, 2024, 11:16:12 AMWhat I meant was that insurance would pay for someone else to build a new one ;)

My sisters home burned down and they rebuilt it for her.  It was a very old home too but in the end she basically got a new home.
Well, I got enough that, added to my savings allowed me to buy a house in Florida. Fortunately, the new (to us) didn't need a lot of repairs. We painted it inside and out, plus the fact it had a large extra garage was a plus. 
Last post by OlJarhead - February 07, 2024, 11:16:12 AM
What I meant was that insurance would pay for someone else to build a new one ;)

My sisters home burned down and they rebuilt it for her.  It was a very old home too but in the end she basically got a new home.
Last post by MountainDon - February 07, 2024, 09:06:45 AM
Very sorry to see the fire damage. However, I am happy that you weren't there as you could have been injured.  I know what you mean by not wanting to build another. I'm 78 and don't mind remodeling or repairs but I am not sure I would want to build from scratch again.
Last post by zion-diy - February 06, 2024, 02:34:23 PM
Quote from: OlJarhead on February 05, 2024, 09:37:52 AMWow!  So sorry to hear!  Hopefully Insurance will build you a new one?
Not near enough. Remember, materials were a whole lot cheaper back when we started. Plus... not sure wife and I could do it all again without having to hire help ($$$$). I'm now 75 and don't really want to go climbing ladders and such.
Last post by zion-diy - February 06, 2024, 02:30:29 PM
Quote from: JRR on January 31, 2024, 11:47:04 AMDang!!  I have little of value to say.. I'm very sorry it happened.  Thanks for sharing with others, we all now have a chance to re-think whatever precautions we have in place for all hazards.

Did it happen at night?  Perhaps you were lucky to be away. 

I hope your spirit mends fully.
No one seems to know exactly when it happened. (we built away from people) My friend was keeping an eye on it while we were gone and on a Wednesday, things were fine, and on Friday I get the call that it's gone.
It had to be one hot fire because it actually melted the wood stove. :o
Owner-Builder Projects / Re: engineering calculations
Last post by jer4257 - February 05, 2024, 08:12:28 PM
I can give you all of what they said.
(from city engineering):I see that you have purchased a set of factory building plans, the next step for you would be to reach out to an engineer or an architect and explain to them that you have these plans and that you need someone to design them site specific for the specified address (1912 w 2nd) as we do required engineer stamped drawings. Whomever you decide to hire for this can also fill out the required energy code forms needed for this size of a house as well as the engineering calcs. Renee will also as stated earlier be requiring the flood vents be noted on the foundation portion of the plans with location, size and type of vents.

So, I reached out to a local architectural firm in Aberdeen. They said:

Hello Jeremy,
Thanks for reaching out to Harbor Architects LLC.  Unfortunately, with copyright and insurance rules we are unable to work on plans created by someone else.  We would have to entirely draw up the plans in our own system to become the Architect of Record. 

Your project's size does not require a Licensed Architect by state code, it would be feasible for you to approach an Engineer directly.  We typically partner with PCS Structural solutions out of Tacoma, they are a large firm who work on the occasional small project for us.  Recent engineering cost for a new residence that they provided to us was $3,200.

For the Washington State Energy code forms and calculations, you should be able to work with your contractor and subs to fill out the attached forms.  A residence of less than 1500 sf needs to earn 3 credits from the Prescriptive worksheet.  These can be easily earned through efficient HVAC systems, and potentially upgrading insulation values in various locations.

If you would like to work with us to modify your existing plans and have us become the Architect of Record, I would be happy to provide you with a fee proposal to get your through the permitting and include the Structural Engineering by our team.  Typically for new residences we see this cost being around $12-15,000 for new residences where you have a base plan to start from, if we are going entirely custom and starting from scratch on the design very often this fee is 20,000-30,000.

I hope this helps.  Let me know if there is anything you would like us to be involved in,
So, you can see that $500 for "countryPlans" is a relatively small price to pay, when you consider all the additional costs. Still, to remain objective, do the calculations already exist for these plans? If they do, why would I pay someone to do all the calculations over again?

Owner-Builder Projects / Re: engineering calculations
Last post by OlJarhead - February 05, 2024, 05:45:11 PM
What are they asking them for?  Foundation?  Beams?  Seems an odd thing to ask but if building within the city limits that could be an issue.