Recent Posts

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 10
Owner-Builder Projects / Re: KS Flint Hills 20x30 1.5 story
« Last post by KJones on September 13, 2021, 03:09:22 AM »
Roof Venting...

Been awhile since I posted, I meant to get this typed up this weekend but ran out of time. Cabin is going, its been slow and at times painful (literally). Anyway I am dried in for the winter.

When I had my roof (metal) put on, the contractor I hired (who also set my trusses) recommended that I just use gable end vent for roof venting. I have tried to do some reading on here and other places and I have only succeeded in confusing myself. The next order of business is closing the soffits but to vent and how to vent is the question.

Thanks for the help.
Referral Links / Re: Foundation Plugin for SketchUp
« Last post by Medeek on September 09, 2021, 07:57:01 PM »
Tutorial 10 - Subtractive Geometry (15:45 min.)

https://youtu.be/_nsRSgx9CkM
Referral Links / Re: Wall Plugin for SketchUp
« Last post by Medeek on September 09, 2021, 06:07:28 PM »
Version 2.4.1b - 09.09.2021
- Changed the wall justification hotkey/option from the "Tab" key to the "Alt" key (Option key) for rectangular, shed, gable and hip draw wall tools.
Owner-Builder Projects / Re: Okanogan 14x24 by a lurker :)
« Last post by OlJarhead on September 03, 2021, 07:52:54 AM »
Still trying to get to the cabin but I finished the wainscotting at our house!
« Last post by Medeek on September 01, 2021, 08:39:23 PM »
Version 2.4.0 - 09.01.2021
- Fixed a bug with spaced headers when applied to trapezoidal windows.

This bug fix only applies to window headers since there are no sloped headers for doors or garage doors.  This fix applies to 2-ply and 3-ply spaced headers.
« Last post by Medeek on August 31, 2021, 01:17:54 AM »
Version 2.3.9 - 08.31.2021
- Added a window clearance (shim space) parameter within the Windows tab of the Globals Settings.

Previously the shim space or window clearance was hard coded in as 1/4" or 6.35mm.  Now the user can customize this clearance between the rough opening framing and the window frame.  If you do adjust this parameter you will probably also want to adjust the Window Trim Inset parameter so it matches, this way the window trim will butt up against the window frame tight.

This was a user requested update from New Zealand.
« Last post by Medeek on August 29, 2021, 05:36:01 PM »
Version 2.3.8 - 08.29.2021
- Added shed and hip walls to the Medeek Estimator.
- Adjusted the auto-corner configuration algorithm to better predict terminal wall configurations when three walls come together at an inside or outside corner.

When multiple walls come together at a corner or junction it is arguably quite hard to predict the intent and desired configuration of the builder/designer/user.

I think what I have now addresses the immediate issue where a tee intersection was being created instead of a terminal connection, per the previous discussion.

I will need to continue to test this new algorithm further (put it through its paces) and also receive additional feedback from users.  If you notice anything that appears unpredictable or counter-intuitive please feel free to email me so we can discuss.
« Last post by Medeek on August 27, 2021, 09:51:29 PM »
Version 2.3.7 - 08.28.2021
- Added gable walls to the Medeek Estimator.
- Fixed a MacOS/Windows bug with the wall justification hotkey for all wall types.

I still need to add in Shed and Hip walls but it will go much quicker now that I have the gable walls as a template.
General Forum / Re: Best way to superinsulate?
« Last post by Don_P on August 27, 2021, 05:18:32 PM »
On ours I put 1-1/2" of foam beneath the rafters, fiberglass between the rafters, then screwed osb to the rafters through the foam and then attached T&G to the osb. It's been there at least 25 years. I reshingled last year and pulled some sheets of roof sheathing with damge from waiting too long to reshingle. Everything underneath was fine... In VA.

I see osb was $6.39 in '07, ah those were the days, I think I paid around 5 bucks a sheet when we did ours.
Referral Links / Re: Truss Calculators
« Last post by Medeek on August 24, 2021, 01:55:46 PM »
Just a reminder that all of the Truss plugin tutorial videos are listed here:

http://design.medeek.com/resources/medeektrussplugin.html#Videos
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 10
Templates: 3: index (default), Ads (default), Recent (default).
Sub templates: 10: init, html_above, adsheaders_above, body_above, adsindex_above, main, adsindex_below, body_below, adsheaders_below, html_below.
Language files: 2: index+Modifications.english (default), Ads.english (default).
Style sheets: 0: .
Files included: 27 - 733KB. (show)
Cache hits: 9: 0.00100s for 40,801 bytes (show)
Queries used: 18.

[Show Queries]