Recent posts

Plans Support / Re: Dormer plans for 1.5 20x30
Last post by Adam Raabe - March 15, 2024, 03:58:20 PM
Hi there Gearadrift, 

The shed and gable dormer framing options are actually in the booklet (on page 11) just under the Rafter Framing detail. 

Best to ya and wishing you all the best on the new project! 
Plans Support / Dormer plans for 1.5 20x30
Last post by Gearadrift - March 15, 2024, 03:32:10 PM
Hello, I recently purchased plans for the 1.5 story 20x30 and would like add a shed dormer. I did a search of the forums and read an older post by John Raabe that said he had a plan that included shed and gable dormers for the 20x30. The link on the post took me to the country plans page where I ordered my plans set. I didn't see the dormer options, is that something that is available?
I spoke with my builder and he would like to have the dormer included in the plans.
Thank you in advance, plan kit received is great I've been looking it over and getting excited to break ground.
Owner-Builder Projects / Re: Okanogan 14x24 by a lurker...
Last post by OlJarhead - March 14, 2024, 06:53:57 AM
We're back at the cabin and hoping to get the sawmill fixed and...well, I'll explain it here:
Referral Links / Re: Wall Plugin for SketchUp
Last post by Medeek - March 11, 2024, 03:58:08 PM
Medeek Wall Plugin **Tutorial 47** - Custom Glass Garage Doors (w/ Webcam)

https://youtu.be/EOZ_GB0hfWc
General Forum / Mortar Consistency and Strengt...
Last post by rothbard - March 11, 2024, 07:17:28 AM
I've built a stem wall from 6 inch CMU for a 30x20 house (4 courses 32" high, 100 lf).

After completion I found that the adhesion of the mortar was not very great to the blocks.  Some I were able to pull off with only muscle power, or by pushing hard on the wall.

When I removed a layer of blocks, I found that I could chip off the mortar without much trouble (some I could just yank hard to pull off).  Roughly 1-2 square inch sections were crushed by my ~150 pound body weight when I stood directly on the mortar from above. 

Is this normal?  I'm not sure the cause as I used spec Amerimix type S and the result was a good flowable but not soupy consistency. 

My other thought was the entire wall is getting core filled with grout, but I have no idea if grout binds to block well enough to make up for any weakness in mortar.  It took me a couple months to build the wall so if fully grouting everything and then surface bonding (on top the mortared blocks) after that binds well enough on block to effectively double mortar it I would definitely vastly prefer that option (not sure how effective surface bonding is over mortared block).
Last post by Medeek - March 11, 2024, 02:34:01 AM
Version 3.5.5 - 03.11.2024
- Added a "Custom Glass" garage door type/option with fully customizable glass panels.
- Further refined the end grain material positioning for top plates (rectangular walls) and in-wall columns.

I will need to create a tutorial video explaining the proper syntax for the "Glass List".
Last post by Medeek - March 09, 2024, 08:55:46 PM
Version 3.5.4b - 03.09.2024
- Enabled a pressure treated end grain material for bottom plates of all walls.
- Enabled end grain materials for in-wall columns.
- Enabled end grain materials for beams.
- Enabled end grain materials for blocks.
- Enabled end grain materials for posts.

Last post by Medeek - March 09, 2024, 02:38:58 AM
Version 3.5.4 - 03.08.2024
- Enabled an end grain material for top and bottom plates of rectangular walls.
- Fixed a javascript bug for garage door presets.
- Fixed a bug with door presets when using metric templates.

Owner-Builder Projects / Re: Okanogan 14x24 by a lurker...
Last post by OlJarhead - March 07, 2024, 11:44:25 AM
I had a lot of fun with this one -- note:  It's supposed to be a little funny and entertaining (well, hopefully very funny but you might need more backstory).
General Forum / Re: Metal roofing to wood, scr...
Last post by eldon - March 07, 2024, 06:53:48 AM
When it comes to roofing materials and the debate between metal and wood, it ultimately depends on various factors such as durability, aesthetics, and environmental considerations.

Metal roofing has gained popularity for its longevity and resistance to elements like fire, rot, and pests. Additionally, metal roofs often come with longer warranties and require minimal maintenance. From an environmental perspective, metal roofing is often recyclable, reducing its impact on landfills.

On the other hand, wood roofing, particularly cedar shake or shingles, offers a timeless aesthetic appeal that many homeowners find attractive. Wood roofs can also provide excellent insulation properties, helping to regulate indoor temperatures and reduce energy costs. However, they may require more maintenance, such as regular inspections and treatments to prevent rot and decay.

In terms of screw placement, both metal and wood roofs require careful consideration to ensure proper installation and structural integrity. Improper screw placement can compromise the roof's performance and longevity, leading to leaks and other issues over time.

As for my personal preference, I lean towards metal roofing, particularly when considering sustainability and long-term durability. However, I would also suggest exploring environmentally conscious alternatives such as.... SPAM LINK REMOVED..... . ECM homes often utilize sustainable materials and construction methods, offering a blend of modern comfort and eco-friendly living practices.

Ultimately, the choice between metal and wood roofing should be based on individual priorities, budget, and the specific needs of the property. Consulting with a reputable roofing contractor and considering the environmental impact of your decision can help guide you towards the best option for your home. ;)