The Flooding in Cedar Rapids, Iowa

Started by sparks, July 10, 2008, 12:48:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sparks

My crew and I arrived here today to start work on restoring a few railroad crossings that went 'under'. Two or three of them had four feet of water above the instrument cases. Mud is all over the place. And stinks [toilet]
Anyway, I had a bit of time to look at the carnage. This isn't New Orleans, but these folks have just had their Katrina. About 100 city blocks went under on the south side (including the main downtown) and around 20 blocks on the north side. Over 10,000 were forced out of their homes.....the vast majority lost everything. The downtown is decimated.
However, there is optimism. FEMA is here, the Red Cross, the Guard, insurance people, and a TON of volunteer help...Lots of volunteers! It's truly amazing to watch the co-ordinated effort. I heard a rumor that some of the larger employers in the area were allowing their employees 8 hours each week to assist in the cleanup with pay. Saw a guy with a little make shift stand that had hot dogs, chips, and a barrel full of iced down bottled water...and a small sign on a coffee can that merely said "donations".

It's going to take a long time, but these folks will survive and rebuild. Sometimes Americans are at their best when their situation is at its worst. ;)
My vessel is so small....the seas so vast......