Question about pier foundation

Started by Polaris Junky, December 16, 2014, 11:28:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Polaris Junky

Merry Christmas to all,

I am new to this great forum with alot of information. I am currently in the process of purchasing about 6 acres of land in Mancelona/Kalkaska Michigan.
My question is to any and all that have built in Northern Michigan in regards to the pier foundation. Have any of you hand any issues with the building dept's in regards to a pier foundation? Are there any benefits to the pier foundation besides cost? The area I am buying the land in considered the snow belt of Northern, Michigan(not to be confused with Upper Michigan). Will I run into any issues with this foundation vs traditional block/footer. The plan I will using will be a modified 20x30: 1.5 story. My change will include 14ft side walls with a lower level expansion to 24x40. Any and all insight is welcome.

Thank You for the great site

PJ

MountainDon

The best answer, the answer that counts, will come from the building permit and inspection office that has jurisdiction over the land in question. If they follow the IRC code then they most likely will not permit a pier foundation, unless it is approved and stamped by a licensed professional engineer with expertise in foundation design.

The wall height is limited by code to 10 feet when using laterally unsupported studs. A lateral support includes things like an upper floor.  The code reads, " Increases in unsupported height are permitted where justified by analysis."  Analysis means an engineer's input.

Increasing the width of the building will also require a re-do on the roof system.

I think MI uses the 2009 IRC but am not certain. The unabridged version is available online at   http://publicecodes.cyberregs.com/icod/irc/index.htm     Each state can make changes to any part of that, so it is a good idea to check locally on the code year that is used and whether or not there is a state specific version you can access online.

Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

Polaris Junky

Thank Don,

I will be going with a footer foundation or basement foundation.