We think we have a floor plan

Started by grover, March 05, 2013, 10:01:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

grover

We think this floor plan is the one we are going with.  Not shown is a loft over the kitchen and bedroom.

I've never tried to put something on here from photobucket.  Let's see how it works.

bayview

Looks good . . .

What are the dimensions?   Counting the grid squares on your plan . . .     Is your cabin 26' Wide X 24' deep with an 8' additional porch?

/.
    . . . said the focus was safety, not filling town coffers with permit money . . .

UK4X4

having had many final plans....I wish you luck !

My only comment woudl be closets put on that back wall next to the door

Gives you more space for a larger window and not a little narrow lookout

a 4 ft wide kitchen is a little small - really need space for two people

i would try and re-arrange - but I'm no kitchen designer....my house is being built and I don't have the kitchen design done yet, just where its going

Then when the walls are in I can see what really fits

VannL

Grover,

I would agree with UK4X4 on the closets. If you put them together on the back wall, you get better light in the room and you can get a bigger window. I would also go with two windows (Based on weather in your area) in that room. The extra light and it feels bigger.

The kitchen is a size concern. You only have three feet between the frig and the counter. That's tight. You might look at trying to lose the hallway and redesign the bathroom/laundry area to go wide and give back some space to the kitchen. You can have a 'back door' either back by the dining table or in the bedroom. A stackable laundry unit might give you a little space back.

Other than that, I like your design. Very clean. The wood stove/heater is centrally placed and ready to heat the whole house. Having the kitchen, living room and dining room in one area gives it a bigger feeling. Your hot water heater is right at in the middle of all demands for hot water, so aces on that one. I hate having to wait for hot water to get to the taps.

Designing is half the fun!
If you build it, it will be yours!

grover

Actually the plan is 26 wide X 23 deep.  The porch is 8 ft wide.  The original plan had the porch on the right side as you look at the plan, on the dining room/living room side.

I was trying the closets that way to get a window seat.  Probably right about the kitchen.  My wife would much rather have the sink on the back wall and the stove next to the fridge which would require a little more room.

I will have to rethink the kitchen design.  I really want to keep the laundry room and side entrance.  Another door is off the dining room on the back of the house.

Nothing is set in stone yet.  Thanks for your thoughts.

John Raabe

You might try playing with an "L" shaped kitchen running along the back wall. If you did a corner sink you might have room to be able to have the last 4' or so be a bench seat for the table.
None of us are as smart as all of us.

bayview

Consider combining spaces . . .   

The hallway and kitchen floor space can be combined to make the room seem larger.

The following is similar to your floor plan.  (Plan flipped)   But with side door opening directly into room.   Hallway floor space is now part of kitchen. 

/.
    . . . said the focus was safety, not filling town coffers with permit money . . .

grover

I get what you guys are saying.  Hallways do take up valuable space.  We have found a couple more that are similar.  I guess it's against the rules here  to link another house plan site.