Car Help, Anyone?

Started by Q, May 17, 2009, 04:17:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Q

I've got a little 94 Pontiac Firefly I use for getting to the camp on the property and light yard work, it has not been inspected or taken to a garage for at least 5 years, and sat for 3 of those years, I've been changing oil and filters and fluids when needed though. The car devloped an issue just before the las fluid change and shakes quite violently when the engine revs up in gear. Put it in R, D, 1 or 2 andtry to go and the issue starts, leave it in Park or Nut. and rev the engine and no shaking occurs. (when rev'd)

To better outline the issue here's a quick video of the car and the issue.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kyd2q-LkNKE

StinkerBell

I am thinking old gas or you need a new gas filter.

Q

Quote from: StinkerBell on May 17, 2009, 04:24:55 PM
I am thinking old gas or you need a new gas filter.

Wouldn't be old gas since the gas was bought the other day, but I've never changed the filter.

peternap

Hard to tell from the video but I suspewct transmission problem.
These here is God's finest scupturings! And there ain't no laws for the brave ones! And there ain't no asylums for the crazy ones! And there ain't no churches, except for this right here!

StinkerBell

Gas filter is a cheap thing to change out.

Q

Quote from: peternap on May 17, 2009, 05:12:39 PM
Hard to tell from the video but I suspewct transmission problem.

Same thing I first thought, in which case it's being junked.

Quote from: StinkerBell on May 17, 2009, 05:14:55 PM
Gas filter is a cheap thing to change out.

I get one and see if it changes anything, While the car has never had old gas it has on occasion had gas with some dirt/derbies in it, for one of the red tanks you refill.

diyfrank

Have you checked your drive axles? It almost sounds like its broke or loose and flopping around when you try to drive. If you're using it off road, it could be something as simple as a stick wedged in there.

$100. bucks?  ???  Not much you can fix for that. Maybe you could plant flowers in it.
Home is where you make it

Q

Quote from: diyfrank on May 17, 2009, 06:55:35 PM
Have you checked your drive axles? It almost sounds like its broke or loose and flopping around when you try to drive. If you're using it off road, it could be something as simple as a stick wedged in there.

I'll have to take a look under it tomarrow. Some could be broke stuck or lose I guess. It bottomed out fairly bad the other day (before the issue arose) so that could be a good thing to look at.

Quote from: diyfrank on May 17, 2009, 06:55:35 PM
$100. bucks?  ???  Not much you can fix for that. Maybe you could plant flowers in it.

No, not much But I didn't pay much when  got it a while ago. I could get another yard car for 100$ so I'm not willing to put much into this one. I just like this one due to how small it is making it a good car for the yard/property.

Windpower

transmission fluid topped off ?
Often, our ignorance is not as great as our reluctance to act on what we know.

Whitlock

My Guess would be someting is up with the transmission.Broken mount or fly wheel???
Is it a frount wheel drive?
Make Peace With Your Past So It Won't Screw Up The Present

Q

Quote from: Windpower on May 18, 2009, 07:12:27 AM
transmission fluid topped off ?

Yes.
Quote from: Whitlock on May 18, 2009, 09:57:10 AM
My Guess would be someting is up with the transmission.Broken mount or fly wheel???
Is it a frount wheel drive?

Yes it's a front wheel drive.

glenn kangiser

Torque converter bolts loose or broke?  Drive line, u-joint or CV joint broke?  Transmission shaft?  More observation is necessary for a diagnosis.

Any attempt at movement when in gear or just the shaking and clanking?

I would suggest a helper putting it into gear and starting the issue with the brakes on and you observing to see where the noise comes from.

A pipe or tube held to your ear while in contact with the various engine or transmission parts with the noise going can help locate the problem.  Use it as a stethoscope.

I didn't see movement in the video, but if it will move then have plugs and wires been checked?
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.