Water line question

Started by Timberjack, February 24, 2011, 07:46:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Timberjack

I am about to run my water line and it is about 1600' from the meter to the cabin.  I want to use 1" sched40 to make sure I have plenty of pressure and will then reduce it down to 3/4" when i reach the building.  Here's the question: can you buy 1" schedule 40 in a roll instead of having to glue the 20' sticks together?  As rigid as it is I just don't see how it could be coiled into a roll and the terrain I'm going through is pretty rough so i want the thick walled pipe.  Anyone have this info? thanks

pmichelsen

Yes you can buy 1" Polyethylene in rolls to run you water main from the meter to the site. Not only would gluing 20' sticks be tedious there would be a lot of chances for failure. Check your local plumbing supply house, the stuff I have seen and used is black.

*edit: here is one manufacturer: http://www.slpipe.com/products.html

archimedes

Give me a place to stand and a lever long enough,  and I will move the world.

texasgun

I had the same question do the math in my case sqg 40 pvc was cheaper and if you get it in 20 ft sticks make sure it has bell ends so you dont have to buy connectors. another thing to consider I bought mine from an irragation dealer and it was cheaper than the big box and he was very helpful. (I did not go that many feet) I have heard about friction at long lenths that causes a drop in pressure you might have to go up a size to counter act this. ??? I would check on that it would be a shame to undersize it and not have enough water at the other end there should be a chart somewhere that shows this.
WEST TEXAS

MountainDon

1600 feet is a long run. Have you asked the water company what their recommendation for pipe size would be? They have engineers and I would think should be able to answer that question. Also ask what the present pressure is and if they believe it will be maintained at that level. Our local water company runs very high pressure but I have noticed that as the area has developed the pressure has fallen. If your pipe was marginal and use/pressure dropped it might be less satisfactory.

FWIW when we moved here 26 years ago the line pressure was 120, now 80. Still too high so have run a pressure regulator before the water enters the house.

I found pressure drop calculators but they demand a lot of inputs.
http://www.druckverlust.de/Online-Rechner/dp.php

http://www.efunda.com/formulae/fluids/calc_pipe_friction.cfm#calc

Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

Shawn B

For a run that long I would use the black rolled polly pipe. Usually comes in 100' to 300' rolls, uses simple hose barbs and clamps to connect. Might be able to get longer runs from a well-driller, as this pipe is quite commonly used in wells. 1 inch sounds to small for that distance to me.
"The natural liberty of man is to be free from any superior power on Earth, and not to be under the will or legislative authority of man, but only to have the law of nature for his rule." Samuel Adams

Timberjack

This is a rural water association and they had to stub a line directly out of a pumping station for me and the run is mostly downhill so I'm hoping pressure won't be an issue. I will try to contact them today and see if they have any info regarding pressure levels.  What would be an acceptable pressure at the cabin for normal use? 

MountainDon

Usually 40 to 60 psi is considered normal. Many water systems run much higher. In that case a regulator is useful. Too high a pressure can cause early failure with some fixtures or electric valves.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.