Hire out the roof?

Started by jimgranite, March 21, 2007, 09:14:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimgranite

We have pretty much decided that a 2-story home will work best for us-- 3 bedrooms upstairs and a guest bed/ office downstairs.  Plus we want a lot of insulation and with energy heel roof trusses we can blow in as much cellulose as we want.  I want to do as much work ourselves as possible  aside from the crawlspace and, probobly, the roof.  

What issues could I run into with hiring out the setting of the trusses and sheathing/ roofing after I get the framing done?  I hate the idea of the framing sitting in the rain and sun for too long while I wait for contractors to fit me in to their schedule.  

glenn kangiser

Maybe you could schedule with your contractor to arrive at the same time as,  or let him supply and install the trusses and other materials you want to contract out so they get done immediately.  He'll probably want to make a few bucks on them but thats what contractors do.  Sometimes they can buy cheap enough that you  won't have to pay extra anyway.  If you go for low bid be sure to check out his customer satisfaction.  If unreasonably low there may be something wrong.

I met a customer tonight who said his contractor went way over on his bid on a repair job.  Thinking back when he told me the other estimated price several months ago, I remember wondering at the time how the contractor could do the job for that price.  Answer is he couldn't.  As he tore into it he "found a lot more things wrong."
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

hnash53

Hiring out the roof and roofing is a smart idea.  It took us weeks to frame the floor and walls and do the sheating.  With time running out for summer and questioning our ability to frame a 12 in 12 pitched roof, our choice was to hire it out.  In a week, all the roof framing, sheathing and roofing was done.  It cost us but it was dried in and we could start finishing the inside.  

It's worth considering.

Best wishes.