Howard.......Revisited

Started by sparks, June 07, 2012, 01:33:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sparks

My original post from June, 2008:

http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=4679.msg57747#msg57747

I had a chance conversation with a fellow boater over the Memorial Day weekend.....a guy I've known for a few years. Our talk led to how the holiday seemed to mean less than it used to and that young people just don't care about it. I mentioned that my dad was on the USS Maryland prior to WWII and he said a couple of his relatives were at Omaha Beach......one being his father and the other his uncle......his uncle Howard. I was kinda floored for a few moments and asked him what Howard's last name was.  Same Howard......Wow!
Had no idea this guy was related to him. Howard was his mom's brother.

So we chatted for a while and I admitted to being one of the young punks that used to torment his uncle. He understood, then he told me what he knew of his uncle.

Howard was born in 1925 and joined the Army in 1943. He was part of a support group for the rangers that scaled the cliffs at Omaha, June 6 1944. He apparently was injured there , but was patched up and sent on his way. Early in 1945 his unit had entered Germany and had their sights set on Berlin. During an ill fated night, bombs fell and Howard and his unit were in the wrong place at the wrong time. Howard was severely injured, but managed to pull several of his buddies to safety and care for them until help arrived.

After the war, Howard married and had two children....a boy and girl. By the early 1950's he was pretty much losing it and his wife and kids left him.....never to be seen again.  Howard spent the next 20 years of his life alone, doing odd jobs, and finally passing away.......in 1973.

His nephew's mom died about 10 years ago. While going through some of her stuff, he found a small box that had a few medals in it......old medals. One of them was Purple.

Howard was a hero...................a real honest to God hero.

Sure wish I'd never taunted that guy

sparks

My vessel is so small....the seas so vast......