Odd Question about a DeWalt Palm Nailer

Started by Jackson Landers, April 07, 2008, 11:09:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jackson Landers

I've just taken the plunge into air tools, since tendonitis in my right elbow is pretty well guaranteeing that I only have but so many more hammer swings left in me. I'll get through building this workshop without a serious framing nailer but definitely not the actual new house.

The first thing that I ordered for the compressor is a reconditioned DeWalt palm nailer. It doesn't work, but I'm wondering if maybe it's just because I'm an idiot. Air appears to be leaking in a big way inside of the tool (I didn't screw up the hose connection). So I took the thing apart and found that there is a big gasket/washer thing right in the middle that is made of some sort of transparent elastic material.  This rubber thing is shaped like a suction cup but has about a dozen rips radiating from the center outward.

Here's my question; is this part *supposed* to have those rips in it? Or is this what is leaking the air out?  It seems odd that something so glaringly damaged could have passed inspection on reconditioning but I suppose that it's possible.

Any advice would be enormously appreciated.   I don't want to go whining to the seller or writing a negative review on Amazon without being certain that there is really a problem other than myself.
Albemarle County, Virginia

glenn kangiser

Sounds like a diaphragm, and no-- it should not leak.  Maybe they failed to repair it and shipped it out bad.
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

NM_Shooter

Sounds like a bad diaphram to me too. 

BTW...never ever use marvel mystery oil to lubricate air tools.  Ask me how I know  d*

Use something specifically for air tools, like Paslode air tool lubricant. 

-f-
"Officium Vacuus Auctorita"

MikeT

I am on my second palm nailer.  My first had an O ring problem that recurred even after changing O rings.  I then switched from the cheap-o low end nailer to a mid range unit.  It seems to work better.   

With my original nailer, it would sometime leak air and the instruction said to hit it to knock a ring back into position.  It worked for a bit.

I have also found that pneumatic staplers are a good addition into the mix.  For those of us who have had to add tools to the collection in part because tendonitis or other nailing related conditions "force" us to....

mt

glenn kangiser

Was that a Harbor Freight, Mike?  Just wondering so we will know what works - what doesn't.

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

MikeT

No, the bad one was an online purchase called Falcon.  I think I saw a link to a short video about the Falcon when I was in the early stages of my product and mentioned it to my wife prior to Christmas.  I got one.   Since then I have learned that there are indeed many manufacturers and different experiences with them. 

I know we have gone round a few time about which low end tools are worth it and what not.  With the Palm Nailers, I think I would stick with a place where you can return it if you need to.  Lowes and HD are good for that.  Harbor Freight requires the original receipt and return within 14 days I believe.

mt

Jackson Landers

I should say here that the vendor that sold me the reconditioned nailer through Amazon was Tool King. I sent them an email about the problem yesterday and within an hour they had responded with the address of a very local tool repair shop which they said I could take the nailer to for repair on their dime. As far as I'm concerned, this is much better than sending it off through the mail to who-knows-where.  This way I get to have an actual conversation with a tool repair professional, which will probably result in my learning some new things.  They've handled the problem very well thus far. 
Albemarle County, Virginia

glenn kangiser

Sounds like a decent plan.  Please let us know how it works out.