Camo netting used as a privacy screen?

Started by jbos333, December 07, 2008, 05:33:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jbos333

Hello all,

I was contemplating getting some camo netting for a privacy screen at my "regular" home...I found a 10 ft x 99 ft roll for $325.00 + shipping. Has anyone done this? It isn't much cheaper than a 6 ft. stockade w/posts but that's only 6 ft as opposed to 10 ft. The house is around 200 ft from the road with 400 ft frontage. It is mostly wooded in the space between house and road, but all the evergreen trees are 60 ft or so tall with no live branches from ground to at least 25 ft up. So what was once a nice privacy screen isn't working in that way anymore. And, of course, this time of year no brush or leaves to speak of to fill in the gaps. I could plant some more evergreen trees.....I can buy a 4-5 ft. spruce here for about $60.00 but the problem is they will have a hard time growing unless I cut some of the mature trees down to let the light in.

Am I crazy to consider this? Will the FBI arrive to see what I'm up to? Does anyone know how long this stuff lasts on average?

glenn kangiser

Sounds like fun to me.  I would just do it if you want to.  I wanted to cover the shop with it too, but don't want to spend the money.  Maybe I'll just camo paint it.  Google Earth is bugging me.

I heard something about them outlawing the use of it - maybe just military surplus sales though-  but have since seen it for sale so I don't know, besides - we're still nominally under the Constitution.  Pretend you thought the government recognized your Constitutional right to do it. :)
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

NM_Shooter

"Officium Vacuus Auctorita"

Whitlock

Make Peace With Your Past So It Won't Screw Up The Present

firefox

Here is a crazy idea...(it seems I have a lot of those acording to my wife)

Set up the frontage so that it will accomodate those large billboards, in acordian fashion one after the other. Then rent out the billboard space.
No one will ever have a clue that you did that as a privacy screen.

Ofcourse, if you have money, you could paint your own adds on the billboards. ;D ;D

Bruce
Bruce & Robbie
MVPA 23824

Pritch

jbos, there is a lot of variety in camo netting.  Some is simply a hunting camo pattern screen printed on burlap or some other fabric.  Some is a wider weave net, with multiple colors of viynl threaded into it at irregular intervals to replicate foliage.  Whatever you use, you'll probably raise some eyebrows.  Who cares?  You are well within your rights.  Strategic landscaping will probably be a better long-term solution. 

-- Pritch
"The problem with quotes from the internet is that they're not always accurate." -- Abraham Lincoln