Low impact refridgerators?

Started by Bishopknight, October 28, 2007, 07:57:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MountainDon

How cold is the water? Food that needs refrigeration keeps best below 40 degrees, down to 34.

So IF the water is below 40 the idea might have possibilities. However, my guy feeling is that if the cost of pumping power is a factor it is probably not worth it. How close to the cold box location is the water? Well insulated piping would be required for efficiency. You might also need a fan to blow the air in the box through that end of the heat exchange loop. More power.

I see it being a simple beer cooler.  :) Beer in a wire crate lowered into the water. MMmm.  ::) Maybe on tap?

Or build a platform over it with an insulated space under... hatches in the floor to reach down and grab food and drink from baskets holding it it the cool air?   ??? ???

I've seen spots in rocky desert areas of UT where pioneer families too advantage of springs and the rock formations around them. With a little building of walls against the rock alcoves they made themselves walkin refrigerators. Even in the hot summer it was cool enough to cool down and save milk for a few days apparently.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

NM_Shooter

39 degrees F, year round.

Not cold enough for food I guess.... but probably fine for beverages! 

I wonder if you could do a swamp cooler sort of thing.  I notice that when I am working on my swamp cooler, the water in the pan is very cold.  I should take a thermometer up there some time. 

-f-

P.S Bonus points to anyone in Arkansas / Louisiana who knows what a swamp cooler is.
"Officium Vacuus Auctorita"

MountainDon

I was thinking of room cooling, but then forgot.  d* d* The cold water could be pumped to a radiator with a fan blowing through it. I think it should make a difference in a room at 80 degrees or hotter.

Re swamp coolers... I'm glad we don't have one any more. No more yearly change over, just flick a switch and the refrigerated air is ready.  :) And with changing the furnace for a new 95%er at the same time the total gas and electrical consumption is down. Plus we use less water.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.