Differences

Started by JohnJ, February 21, 2012, 12:44:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JohnJ

First, let me start by thanking John Raabe for the patience he's shown in responding to my emails and for all the information he has shared.  I wrote to him directly before I found out there was a forum and you couldn't ask for a better source of knowledge.  From what I see, this forum is also well-stocked with many knowledgeable people.  I think it will be a tremendous resource.

I want to build what I'm now calling a "man cave."  It will be 16 x 16 feet square.  It will sit in my back yard and will not attach to the house, but will attach to a covered porch.  It will have a full bath and electric will be run from the house to the "cave."  It will house storage upstairs in the loft, a large TV, beer fridge, computer, my 30-year old stereo system and a pool table.  There will be a bed for those nights when my wife kicks me out of the house, people stay over or guests.  It will have some form of heating and air separate from the house systems.

My first thought was to build a Little House but I got worried when I read that Little Houses may not meet local codes.  Mr Raabe suggested a Builder's Cottage as an alternative.

I checked with the county code folks this morning.  As long as the new structure is not ATTACHED TO THE HOUSE, it is essentially a "shed" and the only restriction is set-back from the property line.  That does require an inspection and small fee. 

I asked about foundations.  A "new house" falls under the State of Tennessee Code and requires footers with reinforcement, blocks, etc.  A shed can have anything.  The county guy recommended footers and at least one block off the ground but couldn't really explain why except to say it was more permanent.  He gave me the name of a local construction company.  They said blocks and pier would be fine for what I had in mind.

QUESTIONS:

1)  Can someone explain the practical differences between the Little House and Builder's Cottage?  I'm struggling to understand it. 

The Builder's Cottage is described as:  a fully developed small cottage with quality construction and high energy efficiency. Designed for year round living with a full crawlspace foundation and gas or wood heat.    But can't a Little House be insulated?  Doesn't it have a crawlspace if you use block and pier foundations?  Can't it be used year-round?

The Builder's Cottage has:  Two sleeping areas, a small kitchen and full bath cover the basic needs efficiently. Lots of windows, a dutch door, an open cathedral ceiling , skylights and a sitting porch add a feeling of space to a small cottage.    But can't the Little House have lots of windows, dutch door and a porch?  Can't I leave out the skylight?

The Little House has:  2x6 walls for R-21 insulation and R-30 in the roof.  Can't I use 2x6s and that type of insulation in the Little House?

My goal is to construct the "cave" for no more than $10,000 . . . including the interior.  But I want it to be warm, sturdy and safe.  Should I follow the Little House plans and improve on them . . . or get the Builder's Cottage plans and modify them to be simpler?

2)  Can someone explain the practical advantage of a foundation made of footers, reinforced concrete, and blocks . . . as opposed to deck blocks sitting on crushed stone?  Will it feel or sound different?  Will it shake and rattle in the wind?  Will it be colder . . . or warmer?  We're not in a hurricane zone and we don't have excessively high winds.  We freeze and get snow but it's nothing like, say, New England.  This is eastern Tennessee.  I like that crushed stone and deck block foundation because it looks like something even I could manage to do . . . but again . . . I want it to be safe and sturdy.

Thanking any responders in advance . . .