Post to pier connectors

Started by alex trent, November 20, 2011, 05:15:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alex trent

Getting ready to order so i can bring this in next time I make a trip to states.

The array of choices on the Simpson website is pretty broad. Hard to choose.

"CB" has no standoff but will do for me as my piers will be well above grade. Looks simple and EZ. Supposedly come in rough timber sizes which will fit my posts better without trimming the inset.

"CBSQ"...I guess you gain the standoff...and no bolts through the wood, uses screws. Is this better way to fasten wood to the connector?

The "A" series has a bolt attachment to the concrete pier which gives some fudge factor on adjusting...hopefully we will not need that leeway.

Any thoughts?  This is obviously a critical connector, so I need to get it right.

Brian_G

Personally I like the idea of having a little adjustment as even in the best of conditions things rarely line up for me. Just my thought but I am one to er on the side of caution. I also like the standoff ass it leaves a gap between the wood and the concrete.

Don_P

If you have access to steel and a welder there I'd do them locally. This is not anything fancy it is just an uplift restraint. I like adjustability as well but go about it a bit differently when I can. A flat plate with rebar or hooks extending from the bottom is cast in the pier with the flat steel flush with the surface of the concrete. The post has its' hardware attached to it and is placed on the cast in place plate, precisely located and welded in place.

alex trent

Very true and they are simple to do. i like th4e idea of being able make adjustments. Here would like be 1/4 the cost.

Unfortunately, finding this right person to do it  (they are available) and getting it done (right) are things I need to eliminate from the work load in getting this done...so i will pay the price.  Plus no power to weld up there at this point...will have a generator soon, but then the welder has to shlep stuff to the site.

I take it no strength differences in the bolt in concrete and bolts throegh posts and the CBSQ.