Another floor Question

Started by Bouncer, August 01, 2005, 06:11:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bouncer

Should I put the kitchen cabnets in first then the kitchen floor or put the floor in then the cabnets?
Kevin

Amanda_931

generally it's floor.

a) storeboughten cabinets end up the "right" height.

b) it might not be too much of a hassle to do some serious rearranging of the kitchen.

c) the cabinets need something solid to set on.

d) even if what you're describing as "floor" is nothing more than a layer of linoleum, the cuts would be annoying, and you'd probably end up having to trim them out.  

I can think of a lot of things I rather do than try to put trim in the kick-space (right word?) under the main part of the cabinet.

If I worked at it I could probably come up with a few more.

peg_688

Depends , what type of floor ?  Floating wood laminate flooring shouldn't go under the cabs , just up to ,( well 3/8 " away from the toe space ) , can't float with cabs on it .  Vinyl, either way, like Amanda said less to cut around cabs will be the right height without adding to the ,Toe Space, right words Amanda  :)  

So for your easy of installition floor,, first,,, some what easier, down side is you need to be "more careful" when setting the cabs and countertop , With just the subfloor layed you can skid the cabs around,,,,  drop the odd tool or two >:( ,,,,,with the finished floor down ya can't do that  :(    Good luck , HTBH ;)PEG

Amanda_931

I do know people who love their floating laminate floor--Pergo and imitators--looks good, easy to care for, less expensive than some of the alternatives. 

Unfortunately, my first look at it was at least 10 years ago in a commercial setting where they might well have used the household grade.  It showed every speck of dust and grime, and wore very badly.

Turned me against it for life.  So I didn't even think about it in this context.

So I guess I'll recuse myself when that topic comes up.  

There's also a question of timing about what gets done when.  If you move in before putting in your finish floor, then the cabinets--or at any rate some kind of kitchen storage and the plumbing--come first.