Back to my shower fixtures on the outer wall problem

Started by grover, February 22, 2014, 08:41:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

grover

The problem was my design had the shower fixtures on the outside wall.  Not the best idea for freezing or future maintenance. 

Idea...It is only going to be a shower so how about a wall next to the toilet that is perpendicular to the outside wall and comes out about 2 ft?  Then the shower handles and mixing valve could be on that wall and you could get to the back of them is necessary.  The shower head on the outside wall is not as big a concern.  This would mean a swinging door instead of sliders but that's ok.

MountainDon

That would do it. Maybe try to place the fitting as close to the inside wall as possible with some XPS or polyiso foam behind the showerhead fitting and tubing as they could be water left in the piping from the valve to the showerhead.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

rick91351

Quote from: grover on February 22, 2014, 08:41:48 AM
The problem was my design had the shower fixtures on the outside wall.  Not the best idea for freezing or future maintenance. 

Idea...It is only going to be a shower so how about a wall next to the toilet that is perpendicular to the outside wall and comes out about 2 ft?  Then the shower handles and mixing valve could be on that wall and you could get to the back of them is necessary.  The shower head on the outside wall is not as big a concern.  This would mean a swinging door instead of sliders but that's ok.

The plumber I used was very hesitant doing so.  Reason being - freezing the plumbing in the out side wall of course.  In fact we had to move the washer or build a step out of at least four inches.  Opted to move and found a better wall.       
Proverbs 24:3-5 Through wisdom is an house builded; an by understanding it is established.  4 And by knowledge shall the chambers be filled with all precious and pleasant riches.  5 A wise man is strong; yea, a man of knowledge increaseth strength.