Gravity/Siphon Jet Toilet

Started by midrover170, May 04, 2016, 02:29:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

midrover170

Hi all -

I'll make this as quick as possible. I'm planning to manually fill the tank on my toilet for flushing, at least for 1 year. I won't have a pressurized water system until I have electricity, which will be spring/summer of '17.

I'm between two toilets. One is a gravity feed design, and the other is siphon jet. Do I need water pressure for the siphon jet to work properly? Having a surprisingly difficult time finding an answer on ol' Google.

Thanks,
D

John Raabe

If the tank on the back of the toilet has a normal float and a flapper valve that closes when the tank has flushed you can fill it with a bucket and it should work fine. Siphon jets are a design feature in the ceramic of the bowl, I think. This from a guy with near zero experience with plumbing.
None of us are as smart as all of us.

MountainDon

As long as the tank is a simple storage type we are all used to, the lack of pressurized water inlet will create to problem.  There are toilets with a pressure flush bladder in the tank. Those would probably not work with a gravity inlet.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

midrover170

Thank you guys. I think I'm OK with either model i'm looking at. The siphon jet version does not have the pressurized bladder that you mentioned, Don.

- D

Glenn

Why not just go with the gravity fed plan...less to go wrong IMHO.We changed ours over last year just to negate that extra power usage cost from the house pump.We have a 300 gal IBC that sits about 8' higher than the cistern. :)

flyingvan

What's the point of filling the tank for flushing?  Why not pour water right into the bowl? 
Find what you love and let it kill you.

Dave Sparks

There are quite a few reasons and I am guessing that #1 is you do not hear the pump running at night, #2 you do not use electricity at night,
#3 the water appliance lasts longer as it does not deal with 60psi of pressure, ever.

The last few years Kohler (water sense rated) toilets have a jet flush that does not use a bladder or need  more than 20 psi to really do a good job.

One of my clients bought the Niagra   .8 gallon per flush and really likes it.
http://www.amazon.com/Niagara-77001WHCO1-Stealth-Toilet-Elongated/dp/B009MY4K1K?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=ox_sc_sfl_title_43&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER
"we go where the power lines don't"