VC- Intersecting roofs: valleys, extending rafters

Started by MikeT, September 04, 2007, 01:43:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MikeT

I hope I can describe my question clearly enough.

I am roofing my Victoria's Cottage on the Oregon coast, and I have some choices it appears to me with respect how I treat the valleys where my rooflines intersect.

One one hand, I can keep my rafter length/eave constant over where the main roof intersects with the bedroom roof.  This is shown in Dennis Kahn's Victoria's Cottage.  Here the valley ends right where the regular eave length ends.

Alternately, I can extend the eave length where the larger roof intersects with the smaller/lower roof so there is a longer valley.  This appears to the the method of choice in the original Victoria's Cottage.

I gather there are tradeoffs with each approach.  

Is one better for a rainy climate?  Should I try and eliminate places where birds can nest?

Thanks for your help.

mt

John Raabe

Trying to get gutters and facia boards to line up on two roofs can be tricky, especially if they are not the same pitch. But having only one valley to flash can make that part simpler. Letting the rafters float free of each other is easier to build but can involve some sidewall flashing or one roof sneaking under another.

I would suggest trying this out with a test rafter before your final selection. You will quickly see which one is better.
None of us are as smart as all of us.