Tricks for removing tile?

Started by Mike 870, July 12, 2010, 09:24:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike 870

So I am contemplating a bathroom remodel.  I think I would have to remove my tile from my slab floor.  If I went over the 2 existing layers, I just don't think it would look right.  Are there tricks for doing this?  Am I in for a nightmare?

Rover

Assuming its ceramic tile, you could use an air chisel with a flat bit.  Works well to pop off the tile and any remaining grout and mortar.

glenn kangiser

If vinyl tile, a heat gun or propane torch may help - don't burn the house down.

Dang --- why did my weedburner cross my mind.... [ouch]   Don't do it.... [waiting]
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

NM_Shooter

If ceramic, I found that my impact hammer with a flat bit made very, very short work of getting ceramic tile up.  I even put goggles, hearing protection and gloves on my 9 year old daughter and let her do it.  (Not that I would ever abuse child labor).  It went really, really fast. 

Definitely wear goggles!
"Officium Vacuus Auctorita"

MushCreek

Put a fan blowing out the window, and shut the door. It makes a LOT of dust, but as the others said, it is quick work.
Jay

I'm not poor- I'm financially underpowered.