Shipping container homes...

Started by MikeT, June 12, 2009, 09:29:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MikeT

Over the years on this discussion, I have seen folks asking about using shipping containers as homes.  It has generally been the consensus of participants in this group to be careful in exploring this option.  But the mainstream media, CNN, has just come out with this story.  It appears that the containers as homes are indeed going mainstream:

http://www.cnn.com/2009/TECH/06/12/recycled.homes/index.html

MushCreek

Bob Vila reported on a house like that built for low-income housing here in St Petersburg FL a couple years ago. The joined four containers together, and built a roof over it. They welded a steel skin on the outside, and used some kind of gee-whiz space-age coating, claimed to be an effective insulator in only the thickness of a credit card. I haven't heard any follow-up on it.
Jay

I'm not poor- I'm financially underpowered.

NM_Shooter

A friend of my brother has one that she uses as a hunting cabin.  I saw pictures of the "cabin" and was blown away.  She tricked out the inside... hardwood floors, nice cabinets, granite counters, halogen spot lighting.  It is 40' long, and has two sleeping areas.. one on each end.  The cooking / living space is in the center.  I think she told me that she spent more on the cabinets and countertops than she did on the container.  If I recall, it was about $4k to buy the container and have it shipped one way to her property and put on site.

I wonder how well it would stand up to snow load though, and how it would weather over the years.  Don't those things primarily have their strength in the walls and the floor, as they are made to be stacked?  I don't think the roofs can bear much weight, but I don't know....

I have to admit that I thought it was really cool.
"Officium Vacuus Auctorita"

MountainDon

I believe the major strength is in the floor and the corner posts.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.