Speaking of floor framing...

Started by JavaMan, May 05, 2010, 10:32:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MountainDon

Thanks...  Please nore...
QuoteI used 16D finish nails and set them far enough in to ensure they would not easily move. I used a square to make them as close to vertical as possible.

I also used Franks method of using scrap 2x4 pieces to brace the joists and prevent them from leaning in and throwing off the diagonal measurements. In my case they were secured to the beams and placed vertical on the "inside" of the joists. That way tension on the tape kept them in the vertical position but the far end joist could still be easily shifted as needed.

Hope I didn't leave anything else to the reader's imagination....
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

SouthernTier

I'm way behind on posting on my cabin topic, but I'll post this sneak preview of future posts because it is relevant here.

I, like Javaman, and building a small shed prior to building my cabin (both because that's what I can afford now, and plus it is needed for storing stuff while building).  Mine is 10 x 10.

I was quite concerned about getting the foundation square, especially since I had quite sloping ground.  I used just four sonotubes (not six), but made them big (10-inch) and have rebar in them.  Plus, they go down 3.5 feet into the ground for frost protection.

I did rough diagonal measuring while pouring the tubes, and with a 10-inch diameter, I had some "slop room" for error.  I used simpson beam brackets for 6x6 PT beams, so I had to put in a bolt, but the brackets have some play before they are bolted down.

I came up with this solution for getting the brackets in just the right place before I laid out the heavy beams.  This worked well for 10x10 and would also for 12x12, I think:

I got five 2x4x10's, and screwed them together like this:

In other words, roughly square, plus one across the middle so I could pick the whole thing up (I actually didn't screw that one in, I used C-clamps so I could adjust it so that it balanced just right).  I also attached some small sections of 2x6 in the approximate locations where the brackets would be.  (Note, those small tube sections you see in that photo aren't the real tubes.  Those are just the trimmed-off sections that I am using to keep the contraption off the ground)

Then, I got some wire and turnbuckles and wired these up on the diagonals.  I just kept turning the turnbuckles until the diagonals equaled up.  Then I just picked up the whole contraption and laid it on my four posts.  Since it was light, I was able to pick up each corner and adjust the beam brackets to the correct locations and tighten down the bolt.  So then I could just lay down the 6x6 beams and nail in the joists in confidence that everything was square:

It worked well.