Where to get free sawdust? they are probably throwing it away somewhere..

Started by containercabin, April 05, 2013, 06:39:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

containercabin

I once drove by a place that had huge bags of sawdust in their garbage but don't remember where....

I need it for my sawdust toilet.

Where should one look to find sawdust?

Alan Gage

Cabinet shops and sawmill operators.

Be aware that with cabinet shops there's likely to be a lot of "sawdust" mixed in from particle board and MDF, which is more like dust with a lot of glue in it. Don't know how that will work.

Alan

Alan Gage

Or use it as an excuse to build something and save your own.  :)

Alan

Squirl

Around your area, I can't think of a lot of places.  I have seen a lot of the local and smaller sawmills sell their sawdust on craigslist pretty cheap.  $20 for a pickup truck bed full.  A lot of even smaller producers and some backyard operations are selling their scraps to OSB manufacturers, pellet makers, and artificial fire log makers.

An add on craigslist may help.

Abbey

You don't want to use any saw dust from kiln dried limber because it's far too dry. I tried that one winter when I ran out and the mill where I normally got it didn't have any left, some horse guy took it all in one load. Kiln dried was my only option, I got it from a furniture maker and it didn't work at all. Adding water to the dust helped a little but as soon as I could get some from the mill I did.