Expandable cabin

Started by southernsis, October 22, 2006, 10:31:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

southernsis

We are thinking about building the expandable cabin. Our question is if you just build the main cabin to begin with, how hard would it be later to add some other sections, for example with the roof. I always worry that when another roof line is added there could possibly be leaks. Has anyone built a home with the expandable cabin design?
Thank you

glenn-k

Welcome to the forum, southernsis.

There should be no reason for roof leaks at an addon if the attachment is done properly.  A cut out can be made in the existing roofing material and flashing of the proper type installed under it, then the new roof joins over the flashing.  Drainage will be just as if it was done on the original build if done properly.  

As PEG says -- "Think like water" -- that will help tell you where it needs flashing.  

A shed roof may join the existing roof or be placed against the wall at a lower elevation, but again, proper flashing and lapping of the wall material will prevent any leaks.

southernsis

Thank you for the response. We will probably be getting the expandable cabin plans this week. We are going to live in the existing cabin while we build the new one. We have beautiful lakefront property in the Ozarks and can't wait to get on the property and enjoy.
If anyone has any helpful suggestions, we would welcome them. The ground is very solid as it is mostly rock.
Thank you

glenn-k

We look forward to seeing more of your project and helping you with whatever we can.  We like success stories - and pictures. :)

mark_chenail

Ground like rock you must be building in the Ozarks like me. ;)  My place is about as ad-on and expandable as they come.  We started with an 8x12 garden shed and we kept adding on pole structures over the years.  We now have a 1700 sq ft  five bedroom house and the neighbors have begun to suggest that I may be related to Mrs Winchester, the queen of expandable builders.  

http://www.winchestermysteryhouse.com/

Good luck with the project. :)

peg_688

As PEG says -- "Think like water" -- that will help tell you where it needs flashing.  

A shed roof may join the existing roof or be placed against the wall at a lower elevation, but again, proper flashing and lapping of the wall material will prevent any leaks.

Think like RAIN   ::),RAIN  Glenn .  ;D Water could be pressurized , rain just falls , generally down hill . Wind might drive it up some , so at skylights/ projection in the roof  on shallow pitched roofs , less than 4/12 some extra precautions might be a good idea at the lower edge.

So think like rain , lead the water out with the flashing always provide a clear path to day light, with your felt / building wrap / window flashings etc .

Wires are another thing , a dip loop always should be provided.   So capalary action can be prevented.   All a dip loop is , is make sure any wire, phone / cable etc ,  exterior mounted goes down the wall then back up 3 or 4 " before it goes into the wall. Any water on the wire will travel to the low point then drop off , if the wire doesn't have a drip loop the water will follow the wire right in .  Yes you could caulk it and should , BUT the caulking will fail eventaully and the water will get in .

G/L , PEG

peg_688

I though on this expandable plan , here's a couple ledgers we put in when siding this place , for a future deck /porch (as it will be covered) by  a roof.

And heres a repair showing a cricket at a poorly done , the first time , remodel outside corner.

As it existed the water was lead to the very top of the window trim , no head falshing was used , water wants in and did get in , less then ten years , caulking was redone by home owner at least twice before we did this repair.

SE exposure , our worst weather would hit this corner , run down the corner brd / caulk joint , find a way in and think like rain , water at a dam , once a little water starts to flow what happens ?  More water wants to flow , etc ,etc, etc.

This cricket leads that rain away from the wall / corner / window top .  The felt , yes I like felt much better as "back up " in hard to flash areas . I've pulled off way to much Typar / Tyvek / lumber yard wrap that has failed miserably , due to it failing , I've also pulled off felt that was "mis- lapped"  and failure resulted but never have  I removed felt properly applied and found water damage. With the wraps I have seen damage due to wrap failure , properly installed but still failed.

Do I use wraps ? Yes people "think" they want it , despite my warnings , what do I know  ::), hey the wrap is quicker to install  therefore cheaper as labor is  [highlight]almost [/highlight]always the $$$ part of a job.  

southernsis

Thank you for the responses. Yes I am in the Ozarks. Who knows our place may end up like the Winchester house. I wish I had money to put in the beautiful wood and windows that are in the Winchester house.
I would love to see more pictures of houses.
I will post some in the next couple of day of the property and where we are thinking of building. Have been busy cutting down some very large dead oak trees. Just got the last one down on Saturday. We thought it might take out the exiting cabin, but it worked out fine. Now we can concentrate of the location.

glenn-k

Well at least I remembered it had something to do with getting wet, PEG.  That should be worth something. ------ I know---Depends. :)