Help For Ransomware

Started by MountainDon, January 31, 2017, 08:34:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MountainDon

Europol, Intel, Kaspersky & The Netherlands Police have a joint venture to help those hit with a computer loaded with ransomware.

Info at No More ransom!

Note that in the past year ransomware has evolved from encrytping your files to locking upyour entire O/S with modifications to the Master Boot Record.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

glenn kangiser

I despise those types of scams.  Just today I had a call from the Windows team or whatever they call themselves.  He said I have serious problems with my computer.  I told him I had to get my hearing aids, couldn't hear what he was saying and went to get my phone to record the conversation.  I told him I didn't know anything about computers and needed all the help I could get. :)

He  had a heavy Asian Indian accent.  I think a supervisor was listening in and clued him in that I was just trying to waste his time and he said sorry to bother me and hung up.  Oh well. Hopefully I get to have much more fun next time.   d*
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

Adam Roby

I despise these morons, they should get the full extent of the law, locked up for life or hung out to dry. 
My laptop was hit a couple of years ago.  We lost all of our personal files, including any remaining pictures and videos my wife had of her now deceased Mom and my daughter.  Was quite a hit, and for what, so these lazy good for nothing SOB's don't have to get a real job.  I'd like 5 minutes with them and a crow bar, I would not hesitate to take them out and make the world a better place.

An idea I had now was to run a Virtual Machine, but you need a powerful enough system.  They can completely crash it, and you simply go restart it with a snapshot and all is good.    VirtualBox is my tool of choice for this, works pretty well.  Another solution is to run an embedded Windows and enable the write filter.  The entire OS is loaded into memory at startup.  You can "format" the C: drive and it had no impact at all, just reboot and you're back where you were.  I really with Microsoft could protect us for these scams... anyone that steals or scams people simply don't deserve to be alive in my book, I have zero tolerance.

glenn kangiser

I also have no use for the Jerks.
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

bayview

I use a  Nextbook Windows 10 tablet for about everything.   It has a detachable keyboard and 2 USB ports so I can have a mouse.  I have Spyhunter 4 and McAfee for malware and virus protection.   The tablet actually "runs" faster on the Internet than my laptop.   The only negative to the Nextbook is that it doesn't have a DVD-C/D.   So, I basically use my laptop just for taxes.   To load tax software.   Ransomware?  No hard drive so reboot and everything is fine.
    . . . said the focus was safety, not filling town coffers with permit money . . .