Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10
Plans Support / Re: Engineered Attic Truss question?
« Last post by Rys on Today at 06:28:20 AM »
Thanks Don. Now that I have more concrete idea of what I want I'll talk to the truss guys.
« Last post by Don_P on Today at 04:42:52 AM »
That is a question for the truss designer, I'm not sure of the depth they would need. I would frame it with a structural ridgebeam and common rafters. At 40' that would probably take 2 interior posts.
It is much easier to do a good flashing around roof perforations if the vent pipes, etc. are all in place before the final roofing is installed.  Think the entire roofing process through before deciding to do something like a chimney flashing later.  It is not impossible, just easier in many cases. depends in part on the roofing material and the type of flashing. Special flashing are available for metal roofs that do an excellent job after the metal is on, for example.
 Although I am sure it is much easier to install vent stacks and chimney pipes immediately after sheathing the roof and before installing your roofing, I am sure it isn't always feasable to get this all done before hand. So..... do a large percentage of people end up cutting holes in their new roofing after it is installed?..... or is it imperative that these tasks be completed prior to the new roof install.
« Last post by Rys on Yesterday at 05:43:19 PM »
Would it be possible to do the same thing using parallel chord trusses Don? I like the openness of the cathedral ceiling, especially in the open loft area that overlooks the great room.
Pretty sweet drawings... It's the kind of thing that's hard to wrap your head around, but makes sense once you start to do it. Seems like the common rafter method could translate to logs, and it still looks cool.. I would definitely go that route if I was going to install metal roofing (or pretty much anything besides sod..).
Owner-Builder Projects / Re: Round Cob Cottage w/ Sod Roof in MI w/ Video
« Last post by Don_P on Yesterday at 11:55:37 AM »
More doodling on it. The reciprocal, self supporting, rafters in orange, the common rafters in gold. The commons run just like hip rafters.

It actually looks fine inside, at least on a screen, I think the commons would blend into the ceiling and the show is still the recip rafters.

Another type of reciprocal frame to google  Davinci's Bridge. Leonardo DaVinci was commissioned by the Medici's to devise a simple bridge that soldiers could easily and quickly build out of readily available materials. Again interlocking self supporting "hand in hand" framing
The Chinese had by that time been calling that a rainbow bridge for about 1,000 years  :D
Owner-Builder Projects / Re: 20x34 2-story universal in upstate NY
« Last post by dablack on Yesterday at 11:49:05 AM »
Lots of great minisplit installs and talk of the tools needed over on http://ecorenovator.org/forum/

Just go over the geothermal / heatpump section.  Lots of guys have installed their own units. 
Owner-Builder Projects / Re: 18x28 2-story Northern wisc.
« Last post by dablack on Yesterday at 11:43:09 AM »
Lookin really nice.  Where did you get that crazy wide shiplap?  My shiplap is just 5.5" wide.

Good luck on the sale of the other house. 

Austin
Owner-Builder Projects / Re: Round Cob Cottage w/ Sod Roof in MI w/ Video
« Last post by azgreg on Yesterday at 06:00:25 AM »
Looks like a nightmare to me.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10