Mac design software?

Started by Chuckca, August 20, 2005, 01:35:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chuckca

Is there a simple design package for the Mac OSX operating system?  I've been looking and can't seem to find one.....I don't want to use an emulation program....they gobble to much memory and HD space ???

n74tg

If you have a spread sheet program, that is a wonderful design tool.  Just shrink the column widths down to where the sheet looks like a piece of graph paper.  Use your drawing pallette to draw everything you need.   It's easy to modify things too.

I tried all kinds of different home design programs and in the end used my spread sheet and was very happy with the results.

Best of all, it was free.

jonseyhay

Hi Chuck,
Did you check these out? Failing that, have you thought about buying a cheap putor with windows and just running 3DHA? As Mac software is expensive, this may be the cheaper way to go.
http://countryplans.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=01;action=display;num=1114406512

Chuckca

I kept my Gateway anchor....we've had our lap tops since Feb and wouldn't think of going back...I do most of thinking on the road and in weird places.....what little thinking I do :)

John_C

Try the drawing module in Apple Works.  You can set the grid up so 1" = 4'  or  8'  or whatever.  If you are creative you can make a few things like tubs, tables, couches, beds etc and use them as drop in as needed.  I don't know if it would be compatible with the plans on the subscriptio site but as a stand alone it works great.  More so if you have a wide format printer.
Good Luck,  John

davestreck

Try Google SketchUp for OS X:

http://sketchup.google.com/index.html

Its a free program. After about an hour of messing around (the help videos were worth watching to get started) I came up with a basic rendering of my post and beam cabin frame:

Pretty cool. Looks like there are a bunch of tools and templates available online. Plus you can place your completed building in Google Earth, which is corny but kinda cool.

glenn-k

Cool, Dave- Chuckca has been looking for something for his Mac for quite a while.  

Now between you and Bufordt I guess he has 2.