Finally Getting started

Started by Crappie Slayer, June 02, 2011, 12:21:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crappie Slayer

I finally got my property, after several land deals and offers falling through, I finally have acuired an acre of semi rural and kinda city property, on the edge of a town population 700.  All utilities already there and only half an hour from my favorite lake in the whole state... I am in Oklahoma by the way.

No codes to speak of, so I can kinda build what I want with not much fuss... I am looking at some 16x20 plans with a loft.  I have a choice to make though,, it looks as if framing nailers are pretty expensive although I get a 10% discount at home depot for veteran purposes,,, although maybe I should check out the locat pawn shops for tools,,, people are always pawning tools , heck I got my miter saw there,, a nice rigid and it works just fine,,, picked it up for a hundred dollar bill,,,

Anyways,, any imput will be greatly appreciated,,, I could just use screws on the whole thing,, althought that would take for ever,,, but I would be saving a couple hundred bucks on a framing gun?? ???

What do yall think,,, I will start a build thread as soon as I can get started most likely to haul out some debris on Fri...

Native_NM

New Mexico.  Better than regular Mexico.

Texas Tornado

Squirl

Don't forget you need a compressor to for the gun.  Also nail gun nails. I did one of these:

http://www.harborfreight.com/16-oz-claw-hammer-with-fiberglass-handle-47872.html

I built and my entire 8x12 with hand tools no power.  Not even cordless power tools.  It really wasn't that difficult.  If you have power, a cheap circular saw is the most handy improvement for $15.  If you are building a small 16x20, you really won't use many nails on framing.  Most of your nails will be in flooring, straps, sheathing, building paper, roofing, and siding, which won't use that gun.  A nail gun saves very little time in a tilt up wall.  You will spend more time measuring, cutting, and making sure everything is square than nailing.  You could really splurge and go with one of these:

http://www.harborfreight.com/24-oz-polished-framing-hammer-47893.html

Safety is important no matter what route you take.  I have seen many accidents with nailers.  Although you are less likely to shoot a nail through your hand with a hammer, you are more likely to smash your thumb.  I strongly recommend one of these:
http://www.amazon.com/ThumbSaver-TS003-Magnetic-Setter-Standard/dp/B000WSC7LK

One of the best investments I made.

ScottA

I built my whole house with a hammer. Don't use screws on strutural members, the screws can snap off.

rocking23nf

I screwed all sheathing at my cabin, no issues yet.

I nailed the studs by hand (i regret it)

OlJarhead

Quote from: Native_NM on June 02, 2011, 12:30:58 AM

Buy the extended warranty for another $10 and you are good to go:

http://www.harborfreight.com/21-angle-framing-nailer-68028.html

I bought one of those myself and frankly I'm quite happy with it and the compressor -- got the warranty too, just in case but so far it works like a champ :)

Alan Gage

Debated the same thing a couple months ago before starting my build. Thought about nailing everything by hand or maybe just renting the framing nailer for framing and sheathing. Realized by the time I rented one a few times I could almost buy a new one for the same cost.

In the end I bought a Bostich at the local Ace (they were less than Amazon!) and am very happy I did. I haven't started framing my house yet but have used it on some small projects (wood rack, OSB ceiling in 20x30 shed) and am so happy that I bought it. I've been doing everything myself and while I'm sure I could have done it all by hand but it's really nice when you're short on hands to be able drive some nails very quickly with one hand to hold the piece in place.

If you want you can sell it when you're done with your project. Used construction gear, especially if a name brand and in good shape, usually sells pretty good. That was my original thought but after using it a bit there's no way I'm letting it go.

Alan

archimedes

I also bought a Bostich nailer/compressor almost tens years ago.  Still works perfectly.  One of the best moves I've ever made.  Can't imagine doing a project without it. 

Well worth the expense.
Give me a place to stand and a lever long enough,  and I will move the world.

Native_NM

I bought a three gun pack that includes the framing, roofing, and finish nailers.  It was worth every penny.  I was setting forms for concrete on a home project.  I drove the stakes and then placed one end of the form at the right height with one hand and nailed it with the gun.  Then using the first nail as a pivot, walked down to the other end and raised the form until it was level (laser level) and popped another one to hold it in place.  Then went back and added a few more to hold in place.   After that, added more stakes in the middle and nailed those.  There is no other way to set forms as easily and accurate that I know of, because the nail gun sets the nail so fast the form doesn't move.  When we built our office we needed two guns, and I bought the Harbor Freight.  I think they come from the same factory as the other ones.
New Mexico.  Better than regular Mexico.

Don_P

Dad never owned a nail gun till after he retired, so I grew up without using one. When they started showing up on local jobs, the original T nailers, I asked why we didn't get one. "What do you think I have kids for, keep nailing". I don't regret using them but they certainly aren't neccessary. I do enjoy watching the pile of tools folks buy for very small projects, I could usually carry all the tools in from the truck in 2 trips back in the day. It usually takes me multiple truckloads to stock the job now.

Crappie Slayer

Thanks for all the replies,,, I might take a look at maybe the easy pawn in tulsa,,, thinking I can pick up a name brand nailer for under a 100 bucks,,, easy pawn is always nice because you can always talk em down a little.  And they will warranty it for like 7 bucks,,, so it might be worth it????

If not I can use a hammer pretty good,,, and I have a small 2 1/2 inch finish nailer I could always use that to hold stuff in place and then hammer the big nails with a framing hammer, lol.

I will post some pictures of the land soon,,, i need to clean it up a little.

Thanks Everyone
Chris  AKA  Crappie slayer.... oh I am in Hughes county,,, 30 mins from Eufaula lake,,,

Erin

Considering how many times I've beat my thumb with a plain old hammer, the idea of the damage I could inflict on myself with a nail gun defies imagination.   :o
The wise woman builds her own house... Proverbs 14:1

firefox

And you wonder why guys came up the expression
"I finally got nailed" when they just got married  ;D
Bruce (going on 40 years with the same lovely lass!)
Bruce & Robbie
MVPA 23824

Don_P

My sweetwife and I were having a discussion one day. I was up in the rafters demanding a board that she maintained was up there already. Right about midsentence I nailed myself. "Don't bleed on the logs" was all I got d*

firefox

Bruce & Robbie
MVPA 23824