Skil saws

Started by Jens, January 02, 2009, 11:26:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jens

Started to type this in the Beam Saw thread, but decided not to drift it any further.

Everybody please add your opinions on Circular saws if you have them.

I have used the DeWalt worm drive for the last 6 years, and have nothing but good things to say about it.  It actually uses helical gears, instead of worms, (Glenn, insert underground living reference here) and so the handle is at about 45 deg up from the sole plate, instead of straight back.  This makes it much easier to balance with one hand, and easier to handle IMO than the skil.  I have also found it to have more power.  Doesn't need oil, and comes with a skyhook as part of its design (this was actually the determining factor of me buying it).  It is mostly plastic, which I don't care for too much, but that makes it even lighter than the skil mag.  Square edges on the cast aluminum sole plate, big enough/easily used controls, to use with gloves on (skil does too).  Some of the skil's come with a sole plate that is flat plate with turned up front and back edges, straight sides ride against a square nicely.  Porter Cable makes a sidewinder style with left blade, very nice saw for sheathing work.  I will never go back from worm drive (or helical in DeWalt's case) for framing. 

I started using a sidewinder, Black and Decker I think, when I was a kid helping my mom on stuff (building decks and the like).  Went to wrom drive years ago, and the change took a little adjustment, but was totally worth it. 

Rigid makes a good worm drive too, which is basically a knock-off of the skil version.  It has a rafter hook though (skil doesn't, and these things cost $20), and like all Rigid's tools, it has a nice long cord.  I thought the light up plug ends on Rigid tools were kinda goofy when they first started coming out, but they are quite handy, especially in a basement, or attic, when you don't have much light. 

I also have a Lectro-Saw!  It is from the early '50's, all aluminum, sidewinder, weighs a lot!  Never used it, although it does work.
just spent a few days building a website, and didn't know that it could be so physically taxing to sit and do nothing all day!

MountainDon

I have an ancient Skil worm drive 77. That's the only Skil [tm] saw I have, but I do have some other portable circular saws.   ;D   [Skil is a trade name like Xerox   ;)]

I also have an old Makita 7 1/4 sidewinder. It's been very good, nice thick solid base plate. One thing I like about it it the motor and blade assembly moves straight up and down for blade depth of cut adjustment. I prefer that as the handle angle remains the same no matter the depth setting.

I also have a Porter Cable 4 1/2 inch worm drive panel cutting saw. It's only sjortcoming is it won't cur a S4S 2x4; but then it wasn't meant to do that.

I have a couple Ryobi 18 volt rechargeable circular saws. Their main shortcoming is the bearing support is crap in the standard model. The green one that comes in the lithium kits has an improved metal assembly and they don't break (as easily).

Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

John_C

I have a Black & Decker 8-1/4" sidewinder that has served me well for many years.  It still runs well but the depth and angle adjustments don't like to stay tight.  I was looking at it today & I may pull it apart to see if I can fix it.  Otherwise I'll be in the market for a new saw... or 2

I used to have a 5-1/2" or 6" blade left skilsaw - panel saw.  It would cut through 2x stock at 90˚.  It was very lightweight and was a good companion to the heavy 8-1/4" saw.  When I was nearing completion on my FL house, it and a lot of other things were stolen in a burglary.  I didn't replace it until a year ago when I got a Ryobi rechargeable kit.  The other Ryobi tools are ok but the circular saw is a sorry piece of work.  It doesn't have much power, flattens batteries much faster than even the chainsaw, is so flexible you can't cut a consistent angle, and I'm mostly afraid to use it because of the bearing woes others here have experienced. It's cute to look at :-\

I'm leaning toward the DeWalt hypoid saw Jens mentioned, but I'd like to lay hands on one before I buy it.  The 7-1/4 Makita sidewinders (I think model #5007***) are popular hereabouts and the have a solid base that would work well when using a speed square as a guide.   Decisions, decisions  ???  ???

MountainDon

The Ryobi 18V circular saw performs much better on the Lithium Ion batteries. Those make a big difference. I used one of those saws (actually two, as one broke and was warranty replaced) building my cabin. Except for using the Makita circular saw to cut cement board I used the 18V Ryobi for all the cuts framing my cabin. Well, okay, I used the reciprocating saw on a few cuts.

If anyone is considering rechargeable tools I would recommend the Ryobi Lithium Ion battery kit. Spend the extra for the Lithium. You get the better saw and the better batteries. The 18V Lithium batteries also have a charge indicator built in. I would not recommend the Ryobi circular saw for professional work as it's my feeling that the lightweight shoe will get damaged without taking time and care with handling it. However I am happy for what I asked it to do. It was especially nice when cutting off rafter tails. It was all the more desirable as the only on site AC power was from a generator. I did not have to leave the genset running all day as I would have had to otherwise.

Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

Jens

Quote from: John C on January 02, 2009, 02:51:11 PM

I'm leaning toward the DeWalt hypoid saw Jens mentioned, but I'd like to lay hands on one before I buy it.  The 7-1/4 Makita sidewinders (I think model #5007***) are popular hereabouts and the have a solid base that would work well when using a speed square as a guide.   Decisions, decisions  ???  ???

Hypoid, right!  Not helical.  Thanks for that. 

The Makita sidewinder is a very popular, reliable saw, I am just partial to worm drives.  Can't stand having the blade on the right anymore either, yet it would come in very handy for things like cutting a bevel on a joist or rafter while hanging out over the framing.  Double cuts on hip rafters and joists must be cut from above and below otherwise.  I prefer to frame hips with the rafter running long, get all of my commons run and tails cut, then pull a line across the hip to make sure the tail is the right length.  Was that in Greek, or did it make sense?
just spent a few days building a website, and didn't know that it could be so physically taxing to sit and do nothing all day!

John_C

QuoteWas that in Greek, or did it make sense?

Yup, Greek.    Translation: You like to cut the hip rafter tails in place.   Correct?   

Sometimes it would be handy to have a prehensile tail, like a monkey, it would leave both hands free for more useful work.   

rwanders

I'm still using a Skil model 77 that is about 24 years old----i have found them to be virtually bullet proof and I was never able to cut straight lines on 4x8 sheets with a sidewinder with the same confidence as the worm drive.  Love my 77!
Rwanders lived in Southcentral Alaska since 1967
Now lives in St Augustine, Florida

xecutech

My wife got me a Rigid R3210 worm drive saw for Christmas. I haven't used it yet, but it feels comfortable. A little heavier than I expected, but looking forward to using it.

I have been talking about building our home, so she bought me a lot of tools this year as gifts. I also got a Dewalt sawsall, Empire 5' level, framing square, Fat Max 30' tape measure and one of the new Fat Max 20oz hammers with a magnetic head. I guess it's safe to assume that she plans on me following through on building our house! :)

rwanders

Definitely put up or shut up time! If it wasn't for wives, we wouldn't ever get anything done.
Rwanders lived in Southcentral Alaska since 1967
Now lives in St Augustine, Florida

John_C

Stumbled onto this quote when looking at saw reviews

"THE WORM-DRIVE MYSTIQUE
Saws with the motor parallel to the blade transfer power through a 90-degree turn. Most of these use a worm drive — a gear design that reduces blade speed and increases torque. (Makita uses hypoid gears.) Worm drives are known for unstoppable power, but the tradeoff is a heavier, unbalanced tool with a higher price. If you know a carpenter who uses a worm drive, don't argue with him — he's probably stronger than you are."
:)

MountainDon

glenn kangiser

Quote from: John C on January 03, 2009, 09:52:30 AM
Stumbled onto this quote when looking at saw reviews

"THE WORM-DRIVE MYSTIQUE
Saws with the motor parallel to the blade transfer power through a 90-degree turn. Most of these use a worm drive — a gear design that reduces blade speed and increases torque. (Makita uses hypoid gears.) Worm drives are known for unstoppable power, but the tradeoff is a heavier, unbalanced tool with a higher price. If you know a carpenter who uses a worm drive, don't argue with him — he's probably stronger than you are."
:)

The twist was the thing I always noticed about the worm dirves but I have one and it is my first choice. rofl
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

Jens

After years of cutting stuff with one hand, upside down, overhead, etc., a sidewinder is offbalance for me anymore!  When the wife gets home, I'll have her take a photo of my forearm...scares many small children, and adults alike!

Jens

What happens when you use worm drives, or Popeye needs some spinach