Re: head room for 1 1/2 storey

Started by Jared, January 06, 2006, 12:21:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

John_M

As far as the 4 x 12 beams go there are a couple of factors to consider.

The most important is species.  If you are considering something like Douglas Fir and they are of high quality (#1 or better) then you could probably do that.  I believe that is what Mickey used.  Any other species might not have the strength.  Ask your local building inspector.

Also spacing of the beams obviously.  The weaker the beam, the closer the spacing of the beams.

Overall, depends on type of wood!

jraabe

Yes, for the loft framing plan on sheet 5 you can substitute D/F #1 or select structural 4x12's. You could also use glulam or LVL beams. Do check that out locally, of course.

roger(Guest)

I thought this house was really most impressive and certainly encourages me to consider getting my finger out and building one.

AAA-DAY

We bought the 20' 1-1/2 story cottage plans and are almost finished building. Mickey's house is very much like ours. I hope to figure out how to post our "story" and photos soon. I was looking at the staircase photo and this is how ours will be laid out. I would like to know the dimensions of this staircase, it looks steep, which is what ours will be. Could Mickey please share the specifics! Thanks, Amy

Micky

It is steep.  I kept the dimensions the same as John detailed on the plans.  It is a tradeoff between how steep the stairs are versus the floor space they take up.  Floor space won.

John's plan also has an option for stairs wraping around the landing.  The would help not make it as steep, but may also by a little tricky to navigate.

Also, 30" is pretty narrow for the width.  However, it should allow room for the stove pipe to be routed up through the opening in the ceiling between the stairs and joist.

Here is a link to a drawing I made to help me cut the stairs.

I would love to see some of your pictures.  The snow has finally melted so I am getting back to work this weekend.

bartholomew

Even though it's steep, does it still feel safe to use? thanks

AAA-DAY(Guest)

Thank you so much for the link to the stair construction. Did you use these exactly, or did you make them steeper? I will look again at John's stair plan. I hope to get my photo's submitted soon, like I mentioned, out cabin looks somewhat like yours, only we have a half loft with a cathedral style greatroom and a dormer in the loft. I would love to see some interior shots of your place if you ever get around to it!
Amy

Micky

The stairs feel "safe" to me.  But that is realitive.  My young kids can go up and down, but we have to be carefull.  I don't think my grandparents will be going upstairs.  Hopefully it will be better when I get the railings installed.

Make sure that if you put a window at the landing that it is tempered glass.  If someone trips down the stairs there is a chance they could hit the window and break it.

I built the stairs to the drawings I attached in the previous post.  I based this drawing off of John's plans.

bartholomew

Micky, is your cabin in the Nicola Valley area?

Your stained cement board siding was mentioned in another thread. I was wondering who manufactured the siding and the stain, or did it come pre-stained?

Sassy

Micky...looking at the pictures, I would never have thought it was sided with cement board.  Looks really nice.  I like real wood, myself, but in talking to others, they like something that is rather maintenance free.  Our house in the valley has wood siding & was just painted approx 2 1/2 yrs ago & it has been chipping off in places already... :(

Micky

Bartholomew, Our place is in Northern Idaho.  

The lap siding is Hardie Plank. http://www.jameshardie.com/homeowner/prodhome/hardiplank.php

The shake that I used on the gable ends and bump out is Nichiha. http://www.nichiha.com/sierrapremshake.htm

The Nichiha is similar to the Hardie except it is 1/2" thick versus 5/16".  This gave it a thicker profile that looked closer to cedar shake.  Also, the stainer said the Hardie Shake is very fragile.  I was very impressed with the Nichiha.

I had them both pre-stained locally with masons select.  The stain was designed for the cement siding. http://www.superdeck.com/masonsselect/6700spec.htm

The Nichiha also comes prestained from the factory.  The factory also uses Mason's Select.  This work well because I was a little short on the Nichiha.  I was able to order it stained from the factory and it matched what I had stained by a local company.

bartholomew

Great, thanks a lot for the info

Jimmy_Cason

Micky..
Do you have any updated pictures of this area?

Micky

Here is a picture from last fall.  We didn't get much work done over the winter (too cold, dark & snowy).  I am having the plumbing and elec inspection this Friday.  Hopefully I will have the upstairs bathroom sheetrocked this weekend if all goes well.  I will take more pictures then.

Jimmy_Cason

Thanks Micky.. That looks like how we will live in ours for a while. Build it as I save.  That picture will help my wife visualize where I am headed with ours.

Jimmy_Cason

QuoteThe lap siding is Hardie Plank. http://www.jameshardie.com/homeowner/prodhome/hardiplank.php

The shake that I used on the gable ends and bump out is Nichiha. http://www.nichiha.com/sierrapremshake.htm

The Nichiha is similar to the Hardie except it is 1/2" thick versus 5/16".  This gave it a thicker profile that looked closer to cedar shake.  Also, the stainer said the Hardie Shake is very fragile.  I was very impressed with the Nichiha.

I had them both pre-stained locally with masons select.  The stain was designed for the cement siding. http://www.superdeck.com/masonsselect/6700spec.htm

My goal was to have something that looked close to rustic but very low maintenance.  

Micky,
What color stain did you use? Mahogany?
Now that it has been up for a while and weathered a little, have you noticed and changes, blemishes, or such?

Micky

You are right, Mahogany.

It has only been up since last Fall.  I have not noticed any change.  I don't expect it to change much....

Micky

Here are some updated photos if anyone is interested.  We still have some major projects (ie cabinets, finish stairs, floors & porch), but the inside is finally starting to come together.

Sassy

Looks really nice, especially like the bay window/seat!  Keep those pictures coming - are you living in it now?  There's always those "details" to finish...  :-/ :)

Sassy

Jimmy_Cason

Great Job! Very Cottagy!  Is that a word? Cottagy?

Micky

Jimmy, In the West we call these cabins,  so I think the term is Cabiny.  Cottages are too up-class.

Sassy,  This is only a vacation place.  So we have been "living in" it since the subfloor was on.  Kindof fun if it is only on the weekends.

jraabe

Nice window seat Micky! You did a nice job on the decking as well.

cecilia

Oh how I do love your window seat! And with those trees just outside I think I'd be spending way too much time sitting there watching for local wildlife when I should be working.

I found myself mentally wandering around our home here at the Duckpond, wondering if we perhaps had a window where I could persuade Jonni to build us a window seat!

We used to have one in our old house in England, upstairs in one of the bedrooms. It was actually a priest's hole, and had steps that went down to the cellar.

cecilia
www.duckpond-design.com.au/theduckpond

peteh2833

Mickey, Very nice job. If you don't mind me asking, whta was the cost for getting it framed in and sheathed? We are planning on building the same 20' wide 1 1/2 story in the north central mountains of Pa. How long did you make the cabin?

Amanda_931

A priest's hole with a window?  (and hidden steps to a little noticed exit?)

Cecilia, tell us more.