20x32 A frame cabin Central KY

Started by EaglesSJ, July 23, 2010, 10:39:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

philvarnerlp9

Wow, this is so cool! I am trying to view your progress in the images but photobucket has locked them up. Is there another place that you have posted the photos of your progress? This is great inspiration. Thanks for sharing!

ben2go

Quote from: philvarnerlp9 on January 19, 2018, 09:41:21 PM
Wow, this is so cool! I am trying to view your progress in the images but photobucket has locked them up. Is there another place that you have posted the photos of your progress? This is great inspiration. Thanks for sharing!

You can use extensions in firefox and chrome to see the pics. Just go to add-ons in Firefox and extensions in chrome and do a search photobucket. They will come up.

EaglesSJ

Been a long time since we done an update so I thought I would share some progress pics. We spent the entire year of 2017 in Utah because I was attending helicopter flight school out there. I'm now a licensed helicopter pilot! We moved back to the cabin earlier this year and got back to work on things.

We now have a 4.1kw array and we are running 16 US battery L16s 48v 840ah total capacity. Just finished installing an outback 240v transformer to power our newest addition which we have longed for forever. Air conditioning! I installed a 24k btu 3 zone mini split system. We opted for the ceiling mounted models and hopefully the system will be up and running this week. HVAC guy is supposed to come tomorrow and hook up the lines and vacuum/charge with refridgerant. The rest of the work has just been framing/drywall to finish out the entire basement. Our little 700 sq ft a frame has grown to a 2400 sq ft house in just 8 years time. This will likely be the last of the building on the house itself.

Without further ado, here are some photos.

EaglesSJ

And here are a few pics of helicopter stuff in case anyone is interested. Videos of flights can be found on my YouTube channel under the same user name. (eaglessj) my oldest son and I also got our scuba license while we were out there. There are some videos of diving as well.

Redoverfarm

Not sure about your brand or model of mini-split but mine already has the Freon stored within the system .  Once the system is vacuumed just turn a valve to charge it.  Not sure all manufacturers do this or just a Mitsubishi. 

EaglesSJ

Quote from: Redoverfarm on May 21, 2018, 05:03:10 PM
Not sure about your brand or model of mini-split but mine already has the Freon stored within the system .  Once the system is vacuumed just turn a valve to charge it.  Not sure all manufacturers do this or just a Mitsubishi.

Ours is an LG and comes charged with enough to do 72 ft of total lines. We have around 130ft of lines total because we had to run 3 units. 2 of which were around 50 ft away from outdoor unit. Do you run your mini split off grid? I'm wondering what sort of power consumption they have. Ours is 21.7 seer and is supposed to pull 1400 watts max power. By comparison our 12k btu window units pull around 1200 watts so we should be getting twice as much cooling for around the same power consumption since the mini split is 24k btu. I'm hoping that they won't need to run on max power very often. Most of our walls are 8-12" thick and insulated with R30 and the entire house is shaded.

Redoverfarm

No I am not off grid.  I ran 4 units two of which were floor units and two ceiling units. 

ben2go

Congrats on getting your chopper license. I was a pilot for a few years. It was loads of fun moving peoples aircraft around and getting paid for it.  [cool] My health put me out of the business tho.  :-\

EaglesSJ

Quote from: ben2go on May 22, 2018, 07:53:29 AM
Congrats on getting your chopper license. I was a pilot for a few years. It was loads of fun moving peoples aircraft around and getting paid for it.  [cool] My health put me out of the business tho.  :-\

Thank you sir! Not sure what I'm going to do with it but I had a lot of fun getting it!

ben2go

Quote from: EaglesSJ on May 22, 2018, 10:00:05 PM
Thank you sir! Not sure what I'm going to do with it but I had a lot of fun getting it!

You're welcome. You can always do flying crane service and drop AC units and chillers on rooftops of buildings.  ;D

Don_P

You've turned that into quite a home, well done!
I worked with a guy that did the helicopter crane thing but it was usually repo work, other helicopters, tanks, etc. Seems like it was always in a bad neighborhood.
They've been spraying and liming here the past month or two. They also clear the power lines by chopper, not a job I'd want.

How many hours does it take to get a helicopter ticket? I think single engine fixed wing is about 40?

ben2go

Fixed wing single engine is 40 hours if the person is really wanting to get their private pilots license. A lot of people that used the school where I worked took up to 70 hours before their check ride was signed off by an FAA-certified instructor.

EaglesSJ

Quote from: Don_P on May 23, 2018, 07:56:03 PM
You've turned that into quite a home, well done!
I worked with a guy that did the helicopter crane thing but it was usually repo work, other helicopters, tanks, etc. Seems like it was always in a bad neighborhood.
They've been spraying and liming here the past month or two. They also clear the power lines by chopper, not a job I'd want.

How many hours does it take to get a helicopter ticket? I think single engine fixed wing is about 40?

10 hrs solo and 20 hrs of dual instruction, however it's very unlikely to get it in that time frame. Helicopters are extremely difficult in comparison to fixed wing. Most guys take 50 or more to pass a check ride.

EaglesSJ

A few updated photos post painting. Sorry for the slightly crooked pano shots.

EaglesSJ

Here is one more of what I consider a "unique" ceiling idea. My wife actually came up with this one. I took sheets of 1/2" OSB and ripped them into 3 equal parts each being 4 feet wide and roughly 30" long. Then I used 1x2 stripping to make the rectangles. This was all screwed to the above floor joist with drywall screws. This created a simulated drop ceiling tile effect without losing any headroom and also makes it very easy to remove a small section of the ceiling to access wiring and plumbing.

ben2go

Quote from: EaglesSJ on July 02, 2018, 11:50:06 AM
Here is one more of what I consider a "unique" ceiling idea. My wife actually came up with this one. I took sheets of 1/2" OSB and ripped them into 3 equal parts each being 4 feet wide and roughly 30" long. Then I used 1x2 stripping to make the rectangles. This was all screwed to the above floor joist with drywall screws. This created a simulated drop ceiling tile effect without losing any headroom and also makes it very easy to remove a small section of the ceiling to access wiring and plumbing.

Your pics didn't come through for me so I pulled out the [ IMG] codes. That's a nice modern look to the A-frame cabin. I like it. Functional too with the ability to have access to to the house's system.  [cool]

EaglesSJ

Quote from: ben2go on July 03, 2018, 09:20:39 AM
Your pics didn't come through for me so I pulled out the [ IMG] codes. That's a nice modern look to the A-frame cabin. I like it. Functional too with the ability to have access to to the house's system.  [cool]

Yeah, we decided to go more modern in the basement. We will likely update the rest of the house to be a bit more modern as time progresses, Lord willing.

ben2go

Quote from: EaglesSJ on July 03, 2018, 10:46:43 AM
Yeah, we decided to go more modern in the basement. We will likely update the rest of the house to be a bit more modern as time progresses, Lord willing.

Rustic outside, modern inside. People around my area of SC pay the big monies for that combination.  [cool]

EaglesSJ

Just wanted to provide a quick update. We have recently added a mate3s to our solar setup and for anyone on the fence about it we have found it well worth the cost. It's wonderful to be able to simply check my phone in the morning and see how much our solar panels are sending to our batteries or what our current SOC is. We have also built a new 40x60 shop. Pics to follow if anyone is interested in seeing it.

ben2go

Quote from: EaglesSJ on February 21, 2019, 10:17:46 AM
Just wanted to provide a quick update. We have recently added a mate3s to our solar setup and for anyone on the fence about it we have found it well worth the cost. It's wonderful to be able to simply check my phone in the morning and see how much our solar panels and sending to our batteries or what our current SOC is. We have also built a new 40x60 shop. Pics to follow if anyone is interested in seeing it.

Cool and yes to the shop pics.

MountainDon

Quote from: EaglesSJ on February 21, 2019, 10:17:46 AM
Just wanted to provide a quick update. We have recently added a mate3s to our solar setup and for anyone on the fence about it we have found it well worth the cost. It's wonderful to be able to simply check my phone in the morning and see how much our solar panels and sending to our batteries or what our current SOC is.

Great to hear you are happy with the newer mate.  That is another good reason folks should give more thought to using one brand for the hardware. The CC, inverter and all work together and as improvements are made you can take advantage of them.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

EaglesSJ

Quote from: MountainDon on February 21, 2019, 02:36:48 PM
Great to hear you are happy with the newer mate.  That is another good reason folks should give more thought to using one brand for the hardware. The CC, inverter and all work together and as improvements are made you can take advantage of them.

Yeah, believe it or not I was actually thinking about you when I was doing the install. I wondered if you had one in your cabin or not. Seemed it would be helpful with you all not living there full time.

EaglesSJ

Quote from: ben2go on February 21, 2019, 12:23:30 PM
Cool and yes to the shop pics.

Here a few for you. This was built start to finish by my dad and I. We did have a crew come and pour the concrete and a crane operator come to help set the trusses. Other than that it was us doing the work.

MountainDon

Quote from: EaglesSJ on February 21, 2019, 04:26:32 PM
I wondered if you had one in your cabin or not.

I have thought of it. However, the only way to get a phone connection is cellular and it is only 3G at the best of times. I haven't wanted to spend the money. There are also times, like right now, that even if I received a notice that something was awry there is nothing I could easily do about it. The Jemez mountains have had an extraordinary winter. Lots of snow. So I just hope my luck continues to hold on that front.

Most of the images do not appear for me. The 10th and 11th show as does the last one. From what I can see the shop is quite nice. A CNC mill?

EDIT... a Haas
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

EaglesSJ

Quote from: MountainDon on February 21, 2019, 08:30:56 PM
I have thought of it. However, the only way to get a phone connection is cellular and it is only 3G at the best of times. I haven't wanted to spend the money. There are also times, like right now, that even if I received a notice that something was awry there is nothing I could easily do about it. The Jemez mountains have had an extraordinary winter. Lots of snow. So I just hope my luck continues to hold on that front.

Most of the images do not appear for me. The 10th and 11th show as does the last one. From what I can see the shop is quite nice. A CNC mill?

EDIT... a Haas

Ahhh, I never thought about the winter conditions there. Do you run some sort of small heater to keep pipes from freezing or just drain everything when you leave? Also yes that is a Haas mini mill, I use it for my business. I sold my old shop so we could use the funds to build one on our land. Really wanted to be within walking distance of the house so I could spend more time with my wife and kids. Its also very nice having all my tools and such right here close to home. I cant count the times I had to make a trip to the old shop to get a tool I needed here at the house or vice versa.